DODGY BAD RUST REPAIRS ON UTUBE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Had to comment on this video that came across my desk recently. What a shocker!

This video features a guy that decided to post a U Tube video on trying to repair a badly rusted out inner/ outer skin on a rear wheel arch location. I was posting and commenting a few months ago about dodgy rust repairs and the evil lengths and methods some people go to cover up and so called repair, badly rusted out body panels and sub frames. My evil list included foam.

Well sadly, this guy (the backyard butcher) falls into that catagory, as he quietly and proudly demonstrates repairing and painting the rusted out wheel arch section. This clown uses expanding building foam as the main material to repair the badly rusted out panels. This sort of crap is really not funny. It's not smart. It's not clever or cool. It's the exact opposite - it's a bloody crime! But this is a great example of the sort of rubbish that gets posted up on U Tube for the World to see. Unfortunately, it will be a case of MONKEY SEE/MONKEY DO, as there will be many folk who think this is a great idea, and will be mimicking this idiot and doing the same kind of thing.

The facts are that, if you take this approach, you will be weakening the strength of the vehicle around that general area, and encouraging more rust to blow out sooner than later around the dodgy repair. This guy didn't even try and rustproof the inner panel area after the job was done. He even leaves the wheel arch mold on throughout the whole process! What a legend!

Lastly, it would be easy to say that if this guy chooses to repair his rusted out panel in this fashion, well OK, and good luck to him. It's his business after all. But no, two problems remain. Firstly, it's not responsible to post this sort of garbage to the World, as it is the WRONG way to properly repair rusted out panels, and as well, sets a bad example for everyone. And two, how would you feel if this guy tried to sell you this vehicle, and did not tell you what he had done to those panels. The Classic car World has plenty of very sad stories where the previous owners carried out shonky rust repairs to the badly rusted away body and subframe, to the extent where the car was unsafe to drive, and is sometimes beyond proper repair. The World has plenty of victims who whished they had carried out proper detailed inspections of that beautiful looking, cleverly disguised dodgy cheaply repaired rust bucket. I rest my case.

But enough ranting from me.

Link.................................................(MY HERO!)

Greg. (pro spray painter)
:mad:

Last edited:
The end result looked good in the video, but in person I would think you could see telltale signs of the repair, although you would have to sand it down to see what’s really there. I would think the wheel house would have some rust too. Just goes to show, you never know what’s hiding under the paint. Pretty scary. I found it amusing that he did all that work and didn’t even remove the wheel lip molding. The worst part is the number of stupid people that watched this video and copied this hack.

While this is pretty hacky, I think there's a place for this kind of thing. If it's old beater you're planning on keeping and just want to make it look less crappy and don't want to spend a lot of money, why not? If you go into it knowing that you'll be doing the same thing in a few years but in the meantime it looks less like a rust bucket, more power to them.

Obviously if you try to sell it on as in great condition, that's a big problem or if people try and cover up structural issues to the point that the car isn't safe, that's another issue. And of course this is a very temporary "fix" as the backside is wide open and still rusty.

At least he didn't use ramen noodles to do the repair https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1441403566700355

While this is pretty hacky, I think there's a place for this kind of thing. If it's old beater you're planning on keeping and just want to make it look less crappy and don't want to spend a lot of money, why not? If you go into it knowing that you'll be doing the same thing in a few years but in the meantime it looks less like a rust bucket, more power to them.

Obviously if you try to sell it on as in great condition, that's a big problem or if people try and cover up structural issues to the point that the car isn't safe, that's another issue. And of course this is a very temporary "fix" as the backside is wide open and still rusty.

At least he didn't use ramen noodles to do the repair

The name of the game is to do it right the first time, no matter.

Mediocre repairs are promoted all over utube. I mean, even super stars like Derek, mc Cool, Dalton (which I love to watch btw) etc..., promote the quick ways to put a car back on the road. US roads that is. Over here, you would never pass the tech control, be able to insure these cars.

The popular "surface rust" term used all the time on these great channels, the installation of expensive good parts on a pile of crap or the infamous "patina" excuse....

As @TheDude says, in a way they are right! It takes freakin forever to restore a car the right way while you can enjoy driving it by just adding lipstick to it.
But yeah, if you buy one of these....

Last edited:
Mediocre repairs are promoted all over utube. I mean, even super stars like Derek, mc Cool, Dalton (which I love to watch btw) etc..., promote the quick ways to put a car back on the road. US roads that is. Over here, you would never pass the tech control, be able to insure these cars.

The popular "surface rust" term used all the time on these great channels, the installation of expensive good parts on a pile of crap or the infamous "patina" excuse....

As @TheDude says, in a way there are right! It takes freakin forever to restore a car the right way while you can enjoy driving it by just adding lipstick to it.
But yeah, if you buy one of these....
Sadly, we live in a World today where standards and quality have gone out the door in so many ways. I came into this World where standards, quality and integrity meant something. U Tube is littered with clowns, amateurs, bad standards, lies and falsehoods and mediocrity right across the board. There is entertainment value to be had with such content with the masses in that regard. The blind influencing and leading the blind. People now place great value and appeal in products that are stuffed junk, badly damaged, rooted, rusted or ready for the scrap heap.

Have YOU ever been a victim of the backyard butcher? I have!

Again i say - The name of the game is to do it right the first time, no matter. SAFETY AND STANDARDS SHOULD AND DO MATTER.

EXAMPLES.............................................................. (VICTIMS OF THE WORLD UNITE!)

Greg.

Last edited:
I'll just reiterate that I agree this is a garbage repair and won't last etc. etc.

All I was getting at is some cars aren't worth the time or money to do any kind of restoration. And some people don't have the skills or the money to do it right. And sometimes people are stuck driving that car regardless of what it is.

I think we are all thinking doing something like this on a classic. What about the kid in school, very fixed income that's stuck driving the a rusty but otherwise fine 98 Toyota Corolla that's worth about $500 with a full tank of gas.

It's got some rust holes that aren't structural but look like crap and there's no way the car is worth spending a dime on to make it look better, but the kid wouldn't mind having this thing look less embarrassing. He doesn't have money or much in the way of skills, but he's got time, a gallon of bondo and some spray paint. Tell me that kid shouldn't take a shortcut if it means maybe some girl won't run the other way when she sees that rust bucket pulling up to pick her up for a date.

Edit, I should add that I am definitely in the doing things on the cheap camp. I've had lots to do on my car and little money to do it, so a lot of stuff that's good enough for now, but planning on doing it again and better in the future, like a rustoleum paint job just to get something on there for now. But.. I am not taking shortcuts on things like body work and fortunately my car is mostly rust free so I haven't stuffed ramen in any rust holes ... yet :D .

Last edited:
I'll just reiterate that I agree this is a garbage repair and won't last etc. etc.

All I was getting at is some cars aren't worth the time or money to do any kind of restoration. And some people don't have the skills or the money to do it right. And sometimes people are stuck driving that car regardless of what it is.

I think we are all thinking doing something like this on a classic. What about the kid in school, very fixed income that's stuck driving the a rusty but otherwise fine 98 Toyota Corolla that's worth about $500 with a full tank of gas.

It's got some rust holes that aren't structural but look like crap and there's no way the car is worth spending a dime on to make it look better, but the kid wouldn't mind having this thing look less embarrassing. He doesn't have money or much in the way of skills, but he's got time, a gallon of bondo and some spray paint. Tell me that kid shouldn't take a shortcut if it means maybe some girl won't run the other way when she sees that rust bucket pulling up to pick her up for a date.
Personally for me, I don't disagree. I've done similar and I'm sure 90% of us have to at some point.
I patched up the lower quarters on a 72 Mach 1 I bought for parts in 1980. Drove that car for 4 winters as my "winter beater" + 200 lbs of sand in the trunk!! On another car, at least I brazed the patches and wheel arches in.! That car looked PDG I must say after I painted it.

Edit, I should add that I am definitely in the doing things on the cheap camp. I've had lots to do on my car and little money to do it, so a lot of stuff that's good enough for now, but planning on doing it again and better in the future, like a rustoleum paint job just to get something on there for now. But.. I am not taking shortcuts on things like body work and fortunately my car is mostly rust free so I haven't stuffed ramen in any rust holes ... yet :D .
Sorry Sir, i have to disagree with you. People can and do put forward many excuses and reasons to try and justify carrying out bad, cheap, unsafe, or poor quality repairs/workmanship, and end up driving around in a really not roadworthy, unsafe vehicle, but ...............................................................

Again i say - The name of the game is to do it right the first time, no matter. SAFETY AND STANDARDS SHOULD AND DO MATTER FOR ALL OF US.

Greg.

Last edited:
Personally for me, I don't disagree. I've done similar and I'm sure 90% of us have to at some point.
I patched up the lower quarters on a 72 Mach 1 I bought for parts in 1980. Drove that car for 4 winters as my "winter beater" + 200 lbs of sand in the trunk!! On another car, at least I brazed the patches and wheel arches in.! That car looked PDG I must say after I painted it.
Hey Geoff,

Again i say - The name of the game is to do it right the first time, no matter. SAFETY AND STANDARDS SHOULD AND DO MATTER.

Greg

Hey Geoff,

Greg
Hey Greg, I'm not disagreeing with you.
However I was agreeing with the Dude's statement that to some, a patch job is all they can afford or do, BUT only if it is non critical repairs like frame or body where carbon monoxide enter the cabin. That's a whole different scenario.
Maybe my own confession should have stayed in the background.

Yes, 100% just talking about cosmetic stuff. Drive around with it looking like a rusty mess or do what you can to make it look a little better and maybe slow down the inevitable if doing a proper repair just isn't an option. There are plenty of places on a car where things can rust out and won't affect safety at all, so half ass fixing those things isn't putting anyone at risk.

Latest posts

Back