is my ram air working properly???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71MACH-1

Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH 1 351C (WITH A CAM)
4SPD HURST
FACTORY AC
DISC BRAKES
PERTRONIX ELECTRONIC IGNITION
TORINO SEATS WITH CONSOLE
GAUGE PACKAGE
Just installed the ram air on my 71 351C 4v.

Here is my question....when the car is warmed up and idleing, the snorkel vent is closed. SHOULD IT BE OPEN AT IDLE? It opens only when I give it gas and jump up the RPMS......

also, the ram air flaps on the plenum open when I shoot the RPM up when idleing.

Just installed the ram air on my 71 351C 4v.

Here is my question....when the car is warmed up and idleing, the snorkel vent is closed. SHOULD IT BE OPEN AT IDLE? It opens only when I give it gas and jump up the RPMS......

also, the ram air flaps on the plenum open when I shoot the RPM up when idleing.
I sent you a PM

Snorkel is connected wrong

If you notice with the engine off the flaps are open. At idle you have maximum vacuum that is holding the flaps closed. As you increase RPM's the vacuum decreases and allows the flaps to open toward their zero vacuum position.

Last edited by a moderator:
71 MACH - incase you did not see this in the ram air post...

Plenum flappers

Engine off - always open

Engine running closed - only open when loss of vacuum occurs from full throttle use - temperature does NOT matter

Snorkel flapper

NOTE snorkel flapper does NOT care what plenum flappers are doing.

Only used for cold start / engine warm up, otherwise snorkel door should always be open - Only closed when vacuum applied from cold start bi - metal sensor located on bottom of air cleaner.

Snorkel door only switches where air is drawn in from - end of snorkel OR bottom of snorkel off the exhaust manifold.

When vacuum is applied the door switches to cold position - it draws warm / hot air off the exhaust manifold to help the car run while engine is cold.

A lot of people do not have a working sensor - or use the snorkel door since the cars don't get used in the winter.

Plus if you don't have exhaust manifolds, the heat riser and tube assembly it won't draw hot air anyway.

Back