Is sealer used on tail lamps?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spechti

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 (under restoration), 1973 Lincoln Mark IV (show boat)
Hi,

A few weeks ago, I have cleaned and restored the tail lamp units on my 71 Mach 1. I also use new repro rubber seals on them.

Question:

Do they seal sufficient against the metal tail panel with the 4 mounting points or is it recommended to use additional RTV or other sealer to install them. Did the factory use sealer?

When I got the car, there was a huge worm of different types of bathroom silicone around the contact surfaces and the rubber seal was only fragments...

greetings from Germany,

Michael

DSC00350.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
when i replaced mine i didn't use any sealant on the tail panel but i did need to glue the rubber seal to the frame of the tailight itself.

i don't think they used any sealant to adhere the taillight seal to the body.

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I have cleaned and restored the tail lamp units on my 71 Mach 1. I also use new repro rubber seals on them.

Question:

Do they seal sufficient against the metal tail panel with the 4 mounting points or is it recommended to use additional RTV or other sealer to install them. Did the factory use sealer?

When I got the car, there was a huge worm of different types of bathroom silicone around the contact surfaces and the rubber seal was only fragments...

greetings from Germany,

Michael
Hi Michael,

There was no sealer at all at my tail lamps and I didn't use any during installation.

Grüße aus Bayern/regards from Baravia

- Manfred

Thanks, guys.

The repro rubber fits fine around the tail lamp lenses and does not need any additional adhesve to stay in place. The contact surface of the seal looks straight when you put a ruler over it. Assuming the metal is also straight, it should work...

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 73 there was a yellowish clear sealer holding the rubber gasket to the tail light housing, but nothing between the rubber gasket and tail light panel.

There were traces of a yellow adhesive on the gasket surfaces of the lamp housing too when I dismantled it. I thought it was applied by the presvious owner silicone artist, but could also be there from the factory. I completey removed it (see picture). Maybe it is a good idea do glue it to the housing again when the lamps will be attached to the car.

Yesterday I have tried to test fit the lamp units in the new tail panel of the car and found they do not fit properly. A closer inspection showed that the sheetmetal edges of the repro panel are not flat and do not make a good seal contact. There has to be done some filing and fitting work. Another issue is the poor attachment of the upper taillamp mounting reinforcements (where the upper studs do in). They are mounted with a slope and one edge is so close to the seal that it interfere s with it and prevents the tail lamp from going in place.

Unfortunately we did not see this before the part was welded into the car.

Back