Japanese Mustang Police Car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMS

Vendors
Reaction score
My Car
xxx
My son Brian found this

73 Mach 1 police car with the 70's gum ball light on the roof.

73 mach 1 with 71-2 lower valance? Reminds me of gone in sixty seconds car.

uBX21.jpg

After more searches he found a model for sale

1/18 Scale Model shows some other views.

Model Link

The die cast is RAM AIR !!!

I'm tring to find out if the real one was.

Could ram air have been an export option on a 73 351 4V ?

Don

Don
The actually police car hood does have the hood locks that ram air came with so it's a possibility it came with ram air???

I don't see why not. I imagine the 71-72 lower valance was mandated by some rule we didn't have.
I think you are right

I think a lot of the international countries have to have yellow turn signals

I also see an added marker light to the fender up high.

Don
Ram Air was nixed by the epa here because Ford tried to pass off 2v Emissions for the 4v.

I don't see why not. I imagine the 71-72 lower valance was mandated by some rule we didn't have.
Correct me if I am wrong, but that looks like a proper '73 front valance with a pair of earlier turn signals bolted in front of it.

-Kurt

I kinda like the two tone paint scheme, makes the large body look smaller, same results you would get if you paint it all black as well. I found this same post/photo in Car Domain website as well.

little more info on the car from

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/japan-apparently-used-classic-mustangs-as-cop-cars/

Japan Apparently Used Classic Mustangs As Cop Cars

by Chris Demorro on October 5, 2012

Though these days Japan has a (somewhat) thriving auto industry, it wasn’t always that way. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, Japanese cars were light years behind their American counterparts, at least in terms of raw power. Japanese V8 engines were few and far between, though Japanese car companies did mimic the large-and-in-charge style of American cars with some models. This left the Japanese police out-powered and unable to catch up with the bad guys in their own small-engine patrol vehicles.

We suppose that is the reason why Japan looked to America for its cop cars, and they looked in the right place. Over on Reddit a user posted the above picture of a Japanese pursuit car…which just happens to be a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. And it looks pretty damn cool if we do say so ourselves.

According to Reddit users fluent in Japanese, this Mustang Mach 1 was used as a pursuit vehicle in the Tochigi Prefecture, just north of Tokyo. The police livery appears to have been kept deliberately minimal, though the black-and-white look of this Mustang certainly give it a fearsome look. We’d hate to be the lawbreaker who saw that in their rear view mirror.

While we’d never heard of this particular brand of Japanese patrol cars before, apparently it is a well-known fact in Japan that Mustangs made for pursuit vehicles back in “the day.” So much so that there is even a 1:18 scale model replica of this very pursuit car. That is seriously cool, and we now have a new-found respect for the Japanese police forces. They obviously have great taste!

Back