Feedback on Boss i'm interested in

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably crushed it as it had NO value back then. He may have got 50 bucks for it in 1974 dollars.
I bought a 1970 Grabber Orange Boss 302 in 1979. It was a car out of Michigan/Canada and they only thing I salvaged from it was the engine and driveline. Growing up in Southern AZ, I'd never seen so much rust! The remains went the scrap yard. Another one lost to history. I wish I'd captured the VIN but there was not much interest in tracking VINs back then. A few years later the Boss 302 Registry was started.

I bought a 1970 Grabber Orange Boss 302 in 1979. It was a car out of Michigan/Canada and they only thing I salvaged from it was the engine and driveline. Growing up in Southern AZ, I'd never seen so much rust! The remains went the scrap yard. Another one lost to history. I wish I'd captured the VIN but there was not much interest in tracking VINs back then. A few years later the Boss 302 Registry was started.
Oh the stories many could tell of cars lost to the crusher, missed opportunities, and the like.
Back in 1980, I was recently separated and wanted to replace a 71 Mustang 302 fastback I had, my first car in Canada. I bought a 72 Q code, but had a chance at a Boss 302, don't remember the year, but turned it down because it was too expensive and not the body style I wanted. I think I could have bought the B302 for 4 grand. I bought the Q code for 2 grand and thought that was big money.

Seems odd they wouldn't/couldn't figure out how to get the door open. The lift is another one....I'm sure if they don't have one, they work with more than one shop that does. Hope you get it sorted out.

Oh the stories many could tell of cars lost to the crusher, missed opportunities, and the like.
Back in 1980, I was recently separated and wanted to replace a 71 Mustang 302 fastback I had, my first car in Canada. I bought a 72 Q code, but had a chance at a Boss 302, don't remember the year, but turned it down because it was too expensive and not the body style I wanted. I think I could have bought the B302 for 4 grand. I bought the Q code for 2 grand and thought that was big money.
When I bought my 73 mach1, it was a rolling body out in a field for $600. I got the '72 fastback beside it for $400 for parts. The old man had a ton of them. The one he was fixing up was a '69 mach1. He had all the body work done to it, and a brand new 351W with a 4 speed and all the parts to put it back together. He wanted a whopping $5k for it, which was more money than I'd ever seen.

Re: door lock. So lean across the console and pull the lock button up? Or pull the interior door handle?

There is NO reason that door shouldn't open. Heck I unlocked mine with a coat hanger several times.

The value is really dependent on the presence of the correct (mostly date coded) parts and attention to detail. High end cars will have NOS/original shocks, either NOS or Scott Fuller repro exhaust system, Autolite gas cap, etc. etc.

The big ticket engine bay items are (ignoring service parts):

1) Autolite 4300-D carburetor unique to B1. I've never come across a correct carb stud for sale in 15 years. Has a small plastic bead in a hole as a locking device for the wing nut.
2) Carter 4841S fuel pump.
3) Autolite twin point distributor - without a mirror impossible to see engineering no. Vacuum advance is wrong '70 style with rounded nose and press-in front nipple. Should have the cast in front nipple and wide gold band.
4) Autolite ignition coil - stamp should be a silver/white ink stamp and mostly there are two small numbers between the two terminals . Decal/sticker suggests repro coil.
5) Engine governor (rev limiter) - very few valid date codes (format yy/ww) for these as they were produced in infrequent batches.
6) Voltage regulator (repro are identified by the ink stamp being too crisp and/or cover wrong shade of blue). Ink stamp will be white/silver
7) Starter solenoid.
8) Radiator.
9) Air cleaner assembly.

All these pieces are date coded, except I think the air cleaner assembly, although there are markings on the flange.

The other big ticket items in the engine bay are the radiator cap, Ram Air seal, air filter element (there's still ongoing debate about which was factory installed - the FA50 (various versions over the years) or a non-identifiable filter), battery cables and top to windscreen washer reservoir with correct eng. part no ("BA" not "CA").

Other observations:
1) Top radiator hose clamps are incorrect. Should be wire style.
2) Front fender bolts inside engine bay should be plated.
3) Boot mat should not be present.
4) Spare tyre should be mounted on passenger side with air bottle under tyre. A spring secures the air bottle.
5) Caution fan decal on radiator shroud was not installed at the factory.
6) Wrong finish on hood lock plates (should be plated).
7) Maybe wrong finish on shock tower braces (should be slop grey).
8) Paper decal on valve cover is very likely incorrect.
9) Ordered with trim rings and hub caps.
10) Engine bay inspection decals are repro.
11) Sewn cover on steering wheel is not a factory item.
12) Wrong decals on top side of hood. Should be "RAM AIR".
13) Heater hose clamps incorrect. Should be date coded Wittek tower style.
14) Voltage regulator looks incorrect.
15) Only the Autolite decal which identifies the air cleaner assembly and air filter element should be on the side of the air cleaner base.
16) Blue overspray missing on intake manifold.
17) Cork valve cover gaskets?
18) Windscreen wiper motor doesn't appear to be detailed.
19) Dipstick handle wrong colour.
20) Maybe missing cardboard heat riser tube and Wittek No. 34 clamp.
21) Engine assembly date ink stamp missing on front face of driver's side head.
22) Not ordered with rear spoiler.
23) BOSS 351 decal on driver's side valve cover is incorrect.

Did you see the auction for the GG car in QLD? Much nicer https://collectingcars.com/for-sale...display&utm_campaign=ccapac_brand_unique_cars

I'll answer questions if you like. I'm in Darwin and have a Grabber Yellow B1.

Last edited:
Back