just got a 72 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, new here.

I just picked up a 72 Mach1 2 days ago, the body and pans are rough. But a very solid car. All the rockers are clean, shock towers are like new. the front half of the car is good. the trunk is a mess. But Ill replace all the sheet metal on the car. and itll spend a lot of time being sand blasted.

the guy I bought it from had it running with putting gas in the carb, The motor sounded great, So thats the main reason I bought it. I put a new water pump, fuel pump, plugs, wires, brakes. etc etc. and it runs great! drove it for about 30 minutes then got pulled over by the cops. gave me a seat belt ticket. the motor has had a lot of work done to it, cam, intake, carbs, headers, etc etc. plus the car only has 52k miles on it. its a 351c 4 barrel head, 4 bolt main. Ill be putting the original intake and carb back on.

The tranny Im having problems with.. I dont even know what it is? he said its a top loader 4 speed. But Im having a hard time finding first gear? I dont know. Ive never messed around with a toploader b4. It may be a 3 speed. he gave me 2 other trannys with it, he said all 3 were 4 speeds top loaders. IDK? anf info would be great.

but its going to be a fun project.

glad I found these forums.

I just took a ton of pics. but this is the drive home.

photo-41.jpg

I know where you are coming from. When I bought my 72 comvertible, could tell it needed a lot of work and depending on how bad you wanted it, hope original price tag was not too high because no matter what you paid as I almost bought a 72 convertible w/302/AT/mid mileage @ Daytona Beach Car how for 20K in 2000. But I wanted to do it myself w/351/4-Hurst/convertible found in 2003 but took a long time and money, see my profile.Sometimes the more sources you enlist to help you get the "hard to find" parts is best way all around, ie AACA, MCA just as belonging to this website. This 72Mustang was suppose to be equipped w/4.11 Detroit Locker & when I turned the wheels they spun together a little over 4 times but by driving found @ 65 mph was spinning 2700 rpm's which is definitely "not" but rather 3.5. Also said to have toploader out of a 429 CJ. Don't know. yet but as seller, car title in mom's name, said was a project car p/u from highschool shop teacher whom never found buy on upside, vin # matched engine and knowing I get what I pay for, knew needed to restore bottom to top w/only having sticker of 2,200 dollars "not a misprint" If I ever do it again, i'll take along club rep and p/u through an accredited auction! Just last month, as I wanted it modified anyways, p/u 2nd place category 17 at AACA sanctioned car show in Latrobe. cpy cat

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the purchase and welcome from Utah.

Welcome from west Michigan.

What is it doing when you attempt to put it in gear? It's probably shifter related unless the clutch isn't fully disengaged.

How many levers are on the side of the transmission? A 3 speed will have 2 levers and a 4 speed will have 3 levers.

Post some pics and we can tell you what you have.
it has 3 levers, so it is a 4 speed. wheres first gear? is it low left? or next to reverse, upper left? Ive never had a 4 speed? thanks for the help!
First and second are the forward most lever on the side of the trans, 3 and 4th are the middle lever and reverse id the rear lever. The shifter may be out of adjustment or loose, maybe disconnected.

Hey, new here.

I just picked up a 72 Mach1 2 days ago, the body and pans are rough. But a very solid car. All the rockers are clean, shock towers are like new. the front half of the car is good. the trunk is a mess. But Ill replace all the sheet metal on the car. and itll spend a lot of time being sand blasted.

the guy I bought it from had it running with putting gas in the carb, The motor sounded great, So thats the main reason I bought it. I put a new water pump, fuel pump, plugs, wires, brakes. etc etc. and it runs great! drove it for about 30 minutes then got pulled over by the cops. gave me a seat belt ticket. the motor has had a lot of work done to it, cam, intake, carbs, headers, etc etc. plus the car only has 52k miles on it. its a 351c 4 barrel head, 4 bolt main. Ill be putting the original intake and carb back on.

The tranny Im having problems with.. I dont even know what it is? he said its a top loader 4 speed. But Im having a hard time finding first gear? I dont know. Ive never messed around with a toploader b4. It may be a 3 speed. he gave me 2 other trannys with it, he said all 3 were 4 speeds top loaders. IDK? anf info would be great.

photo-41.jpg
Also welcome aboard from ground zero(Latrobe, home of Arnold Palmer, PGA, Mr Fred Rogers, wonderful neighborhood, registered as first place/invented banana split, and where Steeler Summer Camp, St Vincent College, border of Latrobe, PA)

Hey, new here.

photo-41.jpg
Also welcome aboard from ground zero(Latrobe, home of Arnold Palmer, PGA, Mr Fred Rogers, wonderful neighborhood, registered as first place/invented banana split, and where Steeler Summer Camp, St Vincent College, border of Latrobe, PA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is Navarre? I lived all over Florida from 83-2003 as far up as Daytona Beach and down to Naples, FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back