Key in crank for sprocket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
hey Guys,

Quick question. When installing the lower timing chain sprocket, Should it slide right on. When I took it off I had to use a puller. The new one, after I took a small file and ran it down the sides of the key on the crank a little bit to debur it. slides right on. Is that normal. I envisioned having to use a pipe or something to reinstall it by gently tapping it. Do you typically reuse the original key?

Thanks,

D. Rolls

Is it snug? The new one should take a little effort to slide on. Just be sure it has no play. I would replace the key as it is cheaper than replacing valves.

Is it snug? The new one should take a little effort to slide on. Just be sure it has no play. I would replace the key as it is cheaper than replacing valves.

It definitely has a little play after sliding over key. When the chain is on it, it doesn't move but w/o it moves a little bit. Seems to loose to me. Do you know where I can pick-up a new keyway? I think its a 3/16 x 1 3/4".

hey Guys,

Quick question. When installing the lower timing chain sprocket, Should it slide right on. When I took it off I had to use a puller. The new one, after I took a small file and ran it down the sides of the key on the crank a little bit to debur it. slides right on. Is that normal. I envisioned having to use a pipe or something to reinstall it by gently tapping it. Do you typically reuse the original key?

Thanks,

D. Rolls
What engine? What timing set are you using?

Does this look familiar? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-839012

Not as familiar with your engine.

Hope that helps.
Thanks . That's a big help. I am going to remove the setup again and replace just for added insurance. Come to far at this point.

hey Guys,

Thanks,

D. Rolls
What engine? What timing set are you using?
I have the comp setup with double chain. It has three setups, normal, advance and ret. The sprocket has a little play on it after installing over keyway. I think it makes sense to install a new one with a little more meat on it. Its going to be a bitch getting the other one out. I can see it coming. I should have checked it when the crank was out. It may have been easier to remove. Thanks for the help.

Normal timing setup in as 351C 4V.

Last edited by a moderator:
There shouldn't be any slop. It should be a slight interference fit. The keyway is to keep it from rotating under load. Is it possible you got a 351W set by mistake? I am not familiar with the comp sets. I used a cloyes on my cleveland and an FRPP on my 460.

There shouldn't be any slop. It should be a slight interference fit. The keyway is to keep it from rotating under load. Is it possible you got a 351W set by mistake? I am not familiar with the comp sets. I used a cloyes on my cleveland and an FRPP on my 460.
I will have to check it out.

Thanks

Back