Krylon Fusion for Medium Ginger Interior?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Q-code

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Mach 1, 351C 4 speed.

72 F Mach 1, 302 Automatic W/air.
I need to recondition a few of my hard plastic interior pieces. I have read great things about Krylon's new plastic specific Fusion line of paint. Wally World here carries it, but only about a dozen or so colors. My local Home Depot and Lowe's do not carry Krylon brands.

The color selection from the website shows three promising candidates (Satin Terra Cotta, Satin Khaki, and Satin Brown Boots, check them out here):

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Of course my store carries none of these. I was wondering if anyone has been down this route and knows which is true a good match for Medium Ginger? I would like to try the Fusion route. If I cannot go with them I will use one of the SEM paints for interior, but I want to try this if I can.

Thanks,

~Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the Krylon paints but the SEM paints have a solid reputation for adhering to plastic for our interiors. I originally had Ginger interior and all of my Ginger was painter black. I plant to remove the black and then freshen up the Ginger. Am planning to use the SEM paints.

I second Don on SEM products. I've never been disappointed with their products. I know NPD sells SEM and Ohio Mustang may have it as well. I would not use Krylon for plastic trim parts. Even if you happen to find the right color the gloss level is going to be off. And, you'll never get it off if you don't like it.

Chuck

SEM has worked well for me. I went from red interior to black. SEM had the wright sheen to it.
I have been able to find Krylon Fusion in "Espresso" at the local NAPA. It is a satin finish, and the sheen is dead on (No Charlie jokes!).

The espresso is a bit darker than the back of my plastic kick panels which i used as a test. It is however about right for the stock mini-console. There are about 28 shades of brown it seems in a stock "medium ginger" interior.

I did contact Don at OMS, and he does not stock the SEM products. I found them on NPD's website, and NPD lists it as "Dark Ginger"???

I still will get a can and try it for color compared to the others. Those that have used the SEM product, did you use one of the SEM adhesion promoters first as well?

I have been doing some playing around with the plastic instrument panel panels since I have some broken ones to play with. I have found that media blasting at 60 psi with fine grit glass bead does not harm the grain, but will remove the paint (and chrome trim if you want, the degree of removal is surprisingly controllable). I am hoping to prep the hard parts of my interior plastic the same way, leaving a good surface for adhesion. I'll keep this updated with results.

Thanks,

~Jim

SEM has worked well for me. I went from red interior to black. SEM had the wright sheen to it.
I have been able to find Krylon Fusion in "Espresso" at the local NAPA. It is a satin finish, and the sheen is dead on (No Charlie jokes!).

The espresso is a bit darker than the back of my plastic kick panels which i used as a test. It is however about right for the stock mini-console. There are about 28 shades of brown it seems in a stock "medium ginger" interior.

I did contact Don at OMS, and he does not stock the SEM products. I found them on NPD's website, and NPD lists it as "Dark Ginger"???

I still will get a can and try it for color compared to the others. Those that have used the SEM product, did you use one of the SEM adhesion promoters first as well?

I have been doing some playing around with the plastic instrument panel panels since I have some broken ones to play with. I have found that media blasting at 60 psi with fine grit glass bead does not harm the grain, but will remove the paint (and chrome trim if you want, the degree of removal is surprisingly controllable). I am hoping to prep the hard parts of my interior plastic the same way, leaving a good surface for adhesion. I'll keep this updated with results.

Thanks,

~Jim
I have used the sem products many times & I'm in the process of doing my Camaro interior right now..The sem products are pro quality..Made for the auto trade..My procedure is clean all the parts with a scrub brush & simple green purple full strength first..Then a scrub down with comet & a household scrubbing sponge...hose down...southern polyurethanes wax & grease remover...Tack cloth...then paint with sem..I've never had a panel peel in many years of doing it this way...

Scott

Back