Ginger Interior Paint Colors??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I was going to order some interior SEM paint to work on my dash, console and any interior trim panels for my 72 Q code vert with Ginger interior. When I check with NPD they list three different ones, Dark, Medium and light for Ginger. I have 4 cars with Ginger so I can look to see which parts are which but what do I order for say the metal part of the dash board and the console and rear side panels and kick panels? I work on those parts to give me a break from the body work. Get them done wrap them up and put them in garage attic.

I am going to do two consoles so I will have a Ginger one for sale soon.

I would order from Don but they are just down the road so shipping is much less.

David

Is there somewhere a conversion table available for the colours composition based on these ref numbers? Like metallic 3%, black 2% etc...

Tried in the past to order paint, but delivery was impossible as you need liquid/chemical licence to ship to Europe.

Even the breaking oil I wanted to add to my Summit order 3 weeks ago, was not allowed to be shipped to my location.

I was going to order some interior SEM paint to work on my dash, console and any interior trim panels for my 72 Q code vert with Ginger interior. When I check with NPD they list three different ones, Dark, Medium and light for Ginger. I have 4 cars with Ginger so I can look to see which parts are which but what do I order for say the metal part of the dash board and the console and rear side panels and kick panels? I work on those parts to give me a break from the body work. Get them done wrap them up and put them in garage attic.

I would order from Don but they are just down the road so shipping is much less.

David
David,

When I was restoring the Ginger Interior in 73 vert, I posted to this thread a while back. I pasted below my post and you can find the full thread at.... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-interior-color

In short, I found that there are three shades of ginger The dash pad, Steering column, A-Piller molding, sun visors, and kick panels are a dark ginger, The dash and console are a medium, and the front seat back panels, rear quarters panels and door handles were a lighter ginger.

I was pleased with dark and medium ginger colors I used from NPD (I think), but I was unable to find any off the shelf spray paint that matched the lighter ginger color on the front seat back panels, rear quarters panels and door handles. 

Most come in both the spray die for the vinyl and plastic parts and in paint for metal parts. I can get you the brand I used if you want.

I am restoring a 73 Mustang convertible with ginger deluxe interior. I have been able to find interior spray dye/paint to match the ginger dash, console, kick panels, etc. I used a Med. Ginger spray dye/paint with good matching results, BUT I have not been able to find a Ginger color light enough to match the plastic rear quarters, which are lighter in color than the dash and console etc. It looks like Ford used a lighter ginger color on the rear quarters and seat back panels to better match the vinyl seat material, windlace and door panels. The plastic seat back panels are also the same lighter ginger again to match the seat material that surrounds them. The med. ginger dye/paint I used to paint the dash and console is too dark for these panels, as you can see in the attached picture. I have tried three different brands of medium ginger dyes (AccuMatch, Rainbow, Omni-Pak Lacquer) and none of them match these panels and needless to say the dark Ginger is even darker. All the Mustang parts suppliers have for 71-73 is dark and medium ginger. Has anyone found the right lighter ginger dye to match their 71-73 rear quarters and seat back panels? Thanks in advance for your help.

David
David,

When I was restoring the Ginger Interior in 73 vert, I posted to this thread a while back. I pasted below my post and you can find the full thread at.... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-interior-color

In short, I found that there are three shades of ginger The dash pad, Steering column, A-Piller molding, sun visors, and kick panels are a dark ginger, The dash and console are a medium, and the front seat back panels, rear quarters panels and door handles were a lighter ginger.

I was pleased with dark and medium ginger colors I used from NPD (I think), but I was unable to find any off the shelf spray paint that matched the lighter ginger color on the front seat back panels, rear quarters panels and door handles. 

Most come in both the spray die for the vinyl and plastic parts and in paint for metal parts. I can get you the brand I used if you want.

I am restoring a 73 Mustang convertible with ginger deluxe interior. I have been able to find interior spray dye/paint to match the ginger dash, console, kick panels, etc. I used a Med. Ginger spray dye/paint with good matching results, BUT I have not been able to find a Ginger color light enough to match the plastic rear quarters, which are lighter in color than the dash and console etc. It looks like Ford used a lighter ginger color on the rear quarters and seat back panels to better match the vinyl seat material, windlace and door panels. The plastic seat back panels are also the same lighter ginger again to match the seat material that surrounds them. The med. ginger dye/paint I used to paint the dash and console is too dark for these panels, as you can see in the attached picture. I have tried three different brands of medium ginger dyes (AccuMatch, Rainbow, Omni-Pak Lacquer) and none of them match these panels and needless to say the dark Ginger is even darker. All the Mustang parts suppliers have for 71-73 is dark and medium ginger. Has anyone found the right lighter ginger dye to match their 71-73 rear quarters and seat back panels? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rackerm

That would be great if you have the numbers. I have plenty of parts to reference the colors to I just do not know which paint to order for what parts. I have a perfect dash upper and pad that need nothing. I think I have the seat backs that are good also. I do need to maybe freshen up the actual dash and of course all of the plastic needs work. Did you use the primer or just go with the color? On consoles I usually do not use primer it fills in the texture too much.

Thanks,

David

David
David,

Rackerm

That would be great if you have the numbers. I have plenty of parts to reference the colors to I just do not know which paint to order for what parts. I have a perfect dash upper and pad that need nothing. I think I have the seat backs that are good also. I do need to maybe freshen up the actual dash and of course all of the plastic needs work. Did you use the primer or just go with the color? On consoles I usually do not use primer it fills in the texture too much.

Thanks,

David
David,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I did not use a primer, but I did use an adhesion promoter on the vinyl and plastic parts. I was not doing any color change, so I sprayed the color on as lightly as possible... just enough to cover any fading and marks on the surface. I found that the dye to be somewhat translucent so the underlying color affected the final outcome. I tried to use this to my advantage when color matching. With a few exceptions, I used Dye on the soft plastic and vinyl parts and Lacquer on the hard plastic and metal parts.

I never did find a good color match for the rear quarter panels or the front seat backs. They are lighter in color to better match the surrounding ginger vinyl material. If you find something that matches the quarter panels well, please let me know.

Final note: When taking pictures the lighting greatly affected the color. Sometimes the same spray-out in one picture appears lighter than it does in other pictures.

Here is what I experimented with. Some of the brands I ultimately used and a couple I did not. I found it amazing how much of a color variation there was. 

The sun visors on convertible are a darker vinyl on convertibles to better match the dashboard top and A-pillar molding. I did not repaint the visors, so they are the original color.

Dashboard Frame was repainted

Rear Quarter Panels came out darker than the original color

Seat Belt Parts

Kick Panel and A Pillar Molding

how do i delete

Notice How much lighter the rear quarter and front seat back panels are when compared to the Kick panel. They match the set and door vinyl material.  The seat back and kick panel are the unpainted original color. The quarters have been painted. I am not satisfied with how the quarters turned out as sometimes it matches real well and other times not depending on the light angle.

I put all the parts together to show the color variations.

In the end I used four different paints:

Accu Match 70-73 Medium Ginger Vinyl Dye V-15939 - Soft plastic and Vinyl parts with an adhesion promoter

Accu Match 70-73 Medium Ginger Semi Gloss Acrylic Lacquer L-15939 - Hard plastic and Metal parts

OmniPak 70-73 Medium Ginger Lacquer 15939 - Rear Quarters (and Front Seat Backs, but I did not need to paint these)

Accu Match 70-73 Dark Ginger Vinyl Dye V-15940 - Door Speaker Grills (this darker ginger color seemed to go better with the carpeting on the door)

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

Rackerm

Thanks,

David
David,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I did not use a primer, but I did use an adhesion promoter on the vinyl and plastic parts. I was not doing any color change, so I sprayed the color on as lightly as possible... just enough to cover any fading and marks on the surface. I found that the dye to be somewhat translucent so the underlying color affected the final outcome. I tried to use this to my advantage when color matching. With a few exceptions, I used Dye on the soft plastic and vinyl parts and Lacquer on the hard plastic and metal parts.

I never did find a good color match for the rear quarter panels or the front seat backs. They are lighter in color to better match the surrounding ginger vinyl material. If you find something that matches the quarter panels well, please let me know.

Final note: When taking pictures the lighting greatly affected the color. Sometimes the same spray-out in one picture appears lighter than it does in other pictures.

Here is what I experimented with. Some of the brands I ultimately used and a couple I did not. I found it amazing how much of a color variation there was. 

The sun visors on convertible are a darker vinyl on convertibles to better match the dashboard top and A-pillar molding. I did not repaint the visors, so they are the original color.

Dashboard Frame was repainted

Rear Quarter Panels came out darker than the original color

Seat Belt Parts

Kick Panel and A Pillar Molding

how do i delete

Notice How much lighter the rear quarter and front seat back panels are when compared to the Kick panel. They match the set and door vinyl material.  The seat back and kick panel are the unpainted original color. The quarters have been painted. I am not satisfied with how the quarters turned out as sometimes it matches real well and other times not depending on the light angle.

I put all the parts together to show the color variations.

In the end I used four different paints:

Accu Match 70-73 Medium Ginger Vinyl Dye V-15939 - Soft plastic and Vinyl parts with an adhesion promoter

Accu Match 70-73 Medium Ginger Semi Gloss Acrylic Lacquer L-15939 - Hard plastic and Metal parts

OmniPak 70-73 Medium Ginger Lacquer 15939 - Rear Quarters (and Front Seat Backs, but I did not need to paint these)

Accu Match 70-73 Dark Ginger Vinyl Dye V-15940 - Door Speaker Grills (this darker ginger color seemed to go better with the carpeting on the door)
WOW great detail info saved me hours of trial and error. I do have two great ginger interiors that are in great shape to match up to.

Thanks,

David

Back