Least liked factory color for 1971-73 Mustangs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of all the colors I'd say the maroon brown is the worst...might as well be driving a big turd.

I also am not a big fan of black. I know people will say it can look sleek and all but the idea of having to clean the car every five minutes really puts me off it. Not to mention w/ a car this big I think it's sort of a shame not to have something that stands out a bit more.

I know mine sure does since it's gold (and a guy on here before me said he didn't like it) And while I usually agree that gold doesn't really work w/ most cars. And that I will fully admit I was a bit unsure of the color when we first figured out what it's original color was,and when we (me and my dad) decided to paint it that again.

I have to say since then it's really grown on me (at least w/ this car) to the point I can't really imagine it any other way and I wouldn't really want it any other color. Cause you rarely see a gold car anywhere (usually for good reason,lol). So I think it just makes mine all the more special/rare when I'm out in it or at a show.....and have to say that I have yet to actually meet someone face to face who doesn't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There really aren't any colors that I dislike. I do believe there are good color combos and bad color combos (interior/exterior). My car started as an Ivy Glow Metallic with Avacado Lambeth Cloth and Corinthian Vinyl interior with an Avacado Vinly Roof... wow, whoever ordered this car seriously loved green.

White - it just doesn't suit them too well.

Saw a '71 hardtop locally in white w/black accents - nothing short of terrible. I've yet to see a Mach with this same color scheme in person, but it doesn't seem to work, from what I've seen in photos.

Just about any of the solid blue or red factory colors look terrible on base Sportsroofs too. Not so if black or argent secondary colors compliment them (the Bond DAF Mach 1's a perfect example - love the red/black on screen, and it looked just as good in person on a DAF clone car), but the Sportsroof doesn't fare well without something to break up the bulk.

-Kurt

P.S.: Where did all the Maroon Metallic cars go? Seems as if it wasn't a popular factory color, though I happen to think that it's quite suiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see the production numbers for each color, for each year. Just cause I'm being curious.

I like most colors, the more rare the better, like brown.

I've always wanted to build a 428/4 speed/drag pack clone out of a brown coupe with hubcaps.

I'm not a big fan of Bright Red, which is what mine is. I will most likely paint mine more of a Candy Apple Red from 69-70 era

I kind of think this is the worst thread ever. I would take one in any color. Would I prefer one color over the next, probably? But who cares? How about worst engine trans combo thread next? So the M, R and Q codes can put down the F, H and L codes. I blame the elections for my negativity in this thread! :D

I kind of think this is the worst thread ever. I would take one in any color. Would I prefer one color over the next, probably? But who cares? How about worst engine trans combo thread next? So the M, R and Q codes can put down the F, H and L codes. I blame the elections for my negativity in this thread! :D
See I disagree this is (for now) still AMERICA, where you are allowed to voice your opinion, Thats all this is a personal preferance. If everyone had the same all cars would look like mine:p :salute:

Shhh. We're trying to devalue the cars we want to buy. Don't spoil the party.

;)

-Kurt

There really aren't any colors that I dislike. I do believe there are good color combos and bad color combos (interior/exterior). My car started as an Ivy Glow Metallic with Avacado Lambeth Cloth and Corinthian Vinyl interior with an Avacado Vinly Roof... wow, whoever ordered this car seriously loved green.
I'm with you on this one. While I certainly like how some colors look on our cars more than others, I can enjoy most any as long the color combo is tasteful. That being said, if I had to pick my least favorite, probably the Dark Green.

Back