LEDs for Obsidian71's Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a site that I have used for other things... http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Yeah superbright is awesome and I use them all of the time. Unfortunately, they don't sell multicolored LEDs excluding RGB ones.

Thanks though for looking out.

Dude i was thinking about this a while back!! haha awesome someone is doing it. I would love to see the end result of when its done. and the price. both will determine whether i will place my order or not.

How ever since you know how to make these kits with multicolor. I was wondering if you can do the same with the parking lamps and grille lights? I would like to make one (or both) pair as fog lights and/or blinkers and i want to know how this will look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude i was thinking about this a while back!! haha awesome someone is doing it. I would love to see the end result of when its done. and the price. both will determine whether i will place my order or not.

How ever since you know how to make these kits with multicolor. I was wondering if you can do the same with the parking lamps and grille lights? I would like to make one (or both) pair as fog lights and/or blinkers and i want to know how this will look.
I had a similar idea and think it could look cool. I was thinking of making clear lenses for all of the exterior lights on my mustang bu I haven't gotten that far with mine. One day maybe. You can get LED bulbs that are switchbacks of white and amber so you would just have to make some acrylic clear lenses.

I have white lenses on mine for the parking lights/turn signals in the front valance. I had to come up with something because our laws do not allow yellow parking lights. While most people move their parking lights to the main headlights housings and keep the yellow turn signals, I went with clear lenses and white turn signals in their original spots.

I simply took some acrylic glass, put the lens cover on top, drew the outline on the acrylic and cut it out. Very easy.

I did take an orbital sander to the inside of the acrylic lenses which makes them opaque but also act as a diffusor, so you can't see the bulb. That way the whole lens lights up.

I simply used the original gaskets and bolted them on using the original hardware.

Nope it's definitely a 72, even a very early one (built December 7th 1971)

The sport lamps are yellow but I remove them for inspection and they were not original as the car had the standard grille. I put the mach1 grille in there.

Man, I love the concept of them dual led lights.

Are our reverse lights/blinkers a single filament globe?

If so, it's as simple as swapping the base connector on our mustangs to the dual filament type, similar to the brake lights.

Our blinkers must be yellow here in au, so these would be perfect for me.

I'll just wire up the reverse lights to the white color and the blinkers to the yellow.

Thanks heaps for that...

The reverse lights are single filament and the parking, brake and signals are in one dual filament bulb (actually two). So to convert to amber signals you'd have to get another dual filament socket and wire the reverse and signals to it. Then you would have to run a wire from the brake switch to the parking/brake bulbs (brake filament). Hopefully that makes sense.

Question? What did you use for the outer lens cover thats black and red. Looks similar to 2013 taillight lens covers but the shape is not the same.

As some of you may know I've been working on LEDs for Obsidian71's tail lights. I was working on them today and I figured out I ordered the wrong resistors so I'm kinda stuck waiting for the correct ones. I still have a few things to figure out and I had a few questions for you guys.

1: I would like to know how many people want sequential turn signals as the circuit to do so is giving me some issues. I can do it but its more complex and costly, I just want to get an idea I'm not trying to discourage anybody from wanting them.

2: Would you guys want a complete product or a DIY kit where you'd do a lot of the soldering? I suppose I could offer both, once again just trying to get an idea. If I get enough interest I'll send out my prototype and have a printed circuit board made. That should make things easier and hopefully cheaper.

3: Its kinda a dumb question but how bright do you want the reverse lights?

Thanks for the interest and patience.

Question? What did you use for the outer lens cover thats black and red. Looks similar to 2013 taillight lens covers but the shape is not the same.
Hello Greensun88. If you follow the thread from the beginning, you'll see the process in which Obsidian71 came up with the idea, crafted a prototype, and has gone into the limited custom production of these tail light lenses. You'll also see where TheJ has been working on crafting a circuit board to fit into the tail light housings to mimic the operation of the 2013 tail lights.

Hey, thanks for joining the forums - we love new members. In the tradition of all of our new members, can we get you drop a thread in the 'Introductions' forum - that way you can tell us a little about yourself and we can properly welcome you. Do you have a '71-'73 Mustang? If so, show us some pics! :D

Latest posts

Back