LEDs for Obsidian71's Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
As some of you may know I've been working on LEDs for Obsidian71's tail lights. I was working on them today and I figured out I ordered the wrong resistors so I'm kinda stuck waiting for the correct ones. I still have a few things to figure out and I had a few questions for you guys.

1: I would like to know how many people want sequential turn signals as the circuit to do so is giving me some issues. I can do it but its more complex and costly, I just want to get an idea I'm not trying to discourage anybody from wanting them.

2: Would you guys want a complete product or a DIY kit where you'd do a lot of the soldering? I suppose I could offer both, once again just trying to get an idea. If I get enough interest I'll send out my prototype and have a printed circuit board made. That should make things easier and hopefully cheaper.

3: Its kinda a dumb question but how bright do you want the reverse lights?

Thanks for the interest and patience.

I'm interested in these tail lights. They look awesome. I'm not stuck on the sequential lights. Honestly the final price is going to determine if I can buy them. Do you have a ballpark idea how much we're talking about? Thanks...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I was thinking literally doing the exact same but after reviewing the post about this and the the custom tail lights already being developed I figured I would wait and see your ideas first. If I do a custom set I will be incorporating sequential turn signals and some other display features if I can. However if You can make a board set custom shaped to the lenses and all I have to do is 3 weeks of soldering and I can isolate the circuits as I see fit I would be interested in the time savings for sure!

So my opinion is if we really want it and it is becoming extremely hard for production requests let us make our own light controllers, if we can't and we want them bad enough we will fork out the dough.

So for some of the more tech oriented maybe just the light housings, boards, and some package set of LEDs is all we would need. If you get committed orders you could buy them in bulk and save us some money and make yourself some. That's the order id be interested in.

In my case I'd probably be interested in a diy kit if it saved enough money. I'd actually prefer one but sometimes it just doesn't make sense the way these things get priced. I want sequential, but again it depends on the cost. Mine will end up sequential either way. I have a spare circuit from doing the same on my trans am which I'll likely run if you don't do it.

So I guess the answer is it matters. You know what I want and what I would get would depend on what you decide to charge.

Once you make some ROI, I'd like to play with lenses only, no electronics. They might look ok as they are with my leds around the outside already installed.

I'd need a clear centre lens for my yellow blinker. (Au laws).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm probably just over thinking everything right now, I'll get this prototype going and I'll figure out production as I go along. I want to make them as easy as I can while being what you guys want. I have a brick of about 1000 red LEDs so that's not going to be a problem for a while. I'm looking at $150-$200 for a set of non-sequential LED boards ready to go out of the box. As for the sequential tails I'm unsure at the moment because I haven't built a good working circuit yet.

Here's what I have so far:

Once you make some ROI, I'd like to play with lenses only, no electronics. They might look ok as they are with my leds on the outside already installed.

I'd need a clear centre lens for my yellow blinker. (Au laws).
The lenses themselves are clear and I think you can order a set from Obsidian71.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude......That's awesome.

I'd be interested to see how you get around having issues with the turn signals since we generally can't use LED b/c the low voltage screws with blinkers.

I'd be up for a full kit if around $100.

Sequential would be a nice option, I would personally like a DIY kit as I solder for a living and enjoy these kind of projects. Will use LED's in everything I can find bulbs for or can make my own. Keep at it and customers will come!

:cool:

I would be interested in a set depending on price. Looks like your on the right track

Wow, J... simply - Wow. This is some awesome stuff you got going on. Thanks for sticking with this, Brutha - it's SO going to be worth it in the end. You and Obsidian have really put together an what looks to be an awesome package, and while I believe waiting for something of such quality is but a small thing, I can't wait until I've got a set lighting up the back-end of my '71. ::thumb::

As for your questions - my opinion would be:

1. Yes - sequential for me, please. I believe the flattery of imitation loses a little effect if all aspects aren't addressed. Since we're going for the 'look and feel' of the current model tail lights, I'm thinking it's key to have all features working.

2. I'm up for a kit, if it would spare you the time away from your life and family (things of this nature should not be all-encompassing, unless you decide to make this some kind of a business venture). I would need some fairly explicit instructions, to include any precision soldering tips and recommended tools you would be using to make these. I'm more or less a self-taught solderer (is that even a word?), and I've smoked a few LEDs in my time (before figuring out the benefit of using a small surgical clamp as a heatsink). I've done basic component-level repair to monitors and circuit boards with success, however.

3. I noticed on the last picture you posted, the LEDs are spread out into 'every other' rows, compared to earlier pictures of being stacked right next to each other. I think for the purpose of back-up lights, if you were to fill-in those 'empty' rows between the reds with the white LEDs, that would do the trick. Based on the low-visibility nature of our cars, I would want as much light back there as possible for night-time backing maneuvers.

Also, as noticed in the 6th picture (the one with Obsidian's lens fitted over the circuit board, I think adding another column on the outsides of the more angular areas toward the bottom would help fill-in the intended lighted center sections.

A question for you: Are you intending for these circuit boards to light up standard tail light lenses as well? If so, then I understand the small square section in the center section as the proper placement of the reverse light LEDs. I don't see why they couldn't work inside of standard tail light assemblies, but without seeing them configured as such, I would think the ring of LEDs on the outside would bleed through to the main brake light area a little bit, and if that separation is the intent, it might be tough to make work.

Regardless - awesome stuff!

Wow, J... simply - Wow. This is some awesome stuff you got going on. Thanks for sticking with this, Brutha - it's SO going to be worth it in the end. You and Obsidian have really put together an what looks to be an awesome package, and while I believe waiting for something of such quality is but a small thing, I can't wait until I've got a set lighting up the back-end of my '71. ::thumb::

As for your questions - my opinion would be:

1. Yes - sequential for me, please. I believe the flattery of imitation loses a little effect if all aspects aren't addressed. Since we're going for the 'look and feel' of the current model tail lights, I'm thinking it's key to have all features working.

2. I'm up for a kit, if it would spare you the time away from your life and family (things of this nature should not be all-encompassing, unless you decide to make this some kind of a business venture). I would need some fairly explicit instructions, to include any precision soldering tips and recommended tools you would be using to make these. I'm more or less a self-taught solderer (is that even a word?), and I've smoked a few LEDs in my time (before figuring out the benefit of using a small surgical clamp as a heatsink). I've done basic component-level repair to monitors and circuit boards with success, however.

3. I noticed on the last picture you posted, the LEDs are spread out into 'every other' rows, compared to earlier pictures of being stacked right next to each other. I think for the purpose of back-up lights, if you were to fill-in those 'empty' rows between the reds with the white LEDs, that would do the trick. Based on the low-visibility nature of our cars, I would want as much light back there as possible for night-time backing maneuvers.

Also, as noticed in the 6th picture (the one with Obsidian's lens fitted over the circuit board, I think adding another column on the outsides of the more angular areas toward the bottom would help fill-in the intended lighted center sections.

A question for you: Are you intending for these circuit boards to light up standard tail light lenses as well? If so, then I understand the small square section in the center section as the proper placement of the reverse light LEDs. I don't see why they couldn't work inside of standard tail light assemblies, but without seeing them configured as such, I would think the ring of LEDs on the outside would bleed through to the main brake light area a little bit, and if that separation is the intent, it might be tough to make work.

Regardless - awesome stuff!
I agree with you on the sequential signals, I figured I'd ask to get an idea of who wants what. As for soldering I'm by no means an expert, I'm more or less self taught as well. Honestly I don't use a heat sink, I think it more boils down to knowing your iron and practice (you do get into a rhythm when you solder 100+ LEDs and resistors). For this I used a small 20w pencil iron which was like 10 bucks at the local electronic shops.

Good eye on the last picture that's precisely what I'm planing on doing, I'm just waiting on some white LEDs. I was also playing around with the idea of 1w white Cree LEDs but I don't think its feasible.

In the 6th picture the LEDs weren't centered correctly so that's why theres a gap on the outside. Once again good eye.

They're not intended to work with the standard tail lights but I'll gladly try it out when I get this prototype up and going.

Thanks for your input and interest.

Hey J,

I was just wondering if using dual-color LEDs for the center reverse-light section might work? I know there would be some potential mitigating factors (availability, cost, the Red not matching the other non-reverse light sections, etc.) but it might be something to consider.

Just a thought I had.

Hey J,

I was just wondering if using dual-color LEDs for the center reverse-light section might work? I know there would be some potential mitigating factors (availability, cost, the Red not matching the other non-reverse light sections, etc.) but it might be something to consider.

Just a thought I had.
I had the same idea and ordered some red/white LEDs. With the first test I did the reds did not match and the brightness for both red and white was not to my liking. The reason for the brightness issues, I think, are the only multicolored LEDs I could find were just regular run of the mill LEDs while the brake LEDs are a higher end superflux LEDs. Having said all of that I'm going to get some good quality white LEDs and make a mock up board to see the difference between a multicolored LED setup and an alternating red and white array.

If anybody can find some red/white LEDs that would be great I was only able to find once place that sold them.

Back