Like I’m running out of gas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 completely stock ivy green with silver stripes.
I have a fuel problem not sure where to look. It seems like unless I’m pushing on the gas pedal the engine stops like I’m out of gas. Won’t idle, sitting at a light. Hard to start. I have an about a six inch incline going into my garage I kept stalling trying to get car up that incline. Any suggestions

Carb rebuild or carb swop is in order, OR could be your fuel filter need changing.
Look for the simple things first. Fuel pump, clogged fuel lines etc.
Check fuel pressure or flow from the pump.
Good luck.

Carb rebuild or carb swop is in order, OR could be your fuel filter need changing.
Look for the simple things first. Fuel pump, clogged fuel lines etc.
Check fuel pressure or flow from the pump.
Good luck.
I replaced my radiator with an aluminum radiator and the radiator had a plastic petcock that started leaking. Fortunately I didn’t overheat but it caused my car to act like it was running out of gas. The mechanic said something like the heat sensor that controls the choke was messing with the carburetor making it act like it was running out of gas.

I replaced my radiator with an aluminum radiator and the radiator had a plastic petcock that started leaking. Fortunately I didn’t overheat but it caused my car to act like it was running out of gas. The mechanic said something like the heat sensor that controls the choke was messing with the carburetor making it act like it was running out of gas.
That's weird!
A "plastic petcock" !!
What engine do you have, you didn't say, but I assume the choke is not an electric one.

That's weird!
A "plastic petcock" !!
What engine do you have, you didn't say, but I assume the choke is not an electric one.
I have a 351 Cleveland, and it is weird that the company that made the radiator would use plastic. It’s got me wondering what’s inside the radiator.

I have a 351 Cleveland, and it is weird that the company that made the radiator would use plastic. It’s got me wondering what’s inside the radiator.
I'm no mechanic by a long shot, but as far as I know, the heat stove part of the choke, goes into the exhaust port of the head and not the water jacket, so why does your mechanic think the issue is a result of your rad leaking or a water related issue?
This just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps others with more knowledge can offer an explanation.
My 351C4V was changed to an electric choke carb before I bought the car and the heat stove was blocked off. If you're still using the original 4300D carb, from the little I know about the 4300 series carbs, I would tend to suspect that to be the problem.
Regardless, it's annoying and frustrating to say the least, I hope you get it fixed soon.

I'm no mechanic by a long shot, but as far as I know, the heat stove part of the choke, goes into the exhaust port of the head and not the water jacket, so why does your mechanic think the issue is a result of your rad leaking or a water related issue?
This just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps others with more knowledge can offer an explanation.
My 351C4V was changed to an electric choke carb before I bought the car and the heat stove was blocked off. If you're still using the original 4300D carb, from the little I know about the 4300 series carbs, I would tend to suspect that to be the problem.
Regardless, it's annoying and frustrating to say the least, I hope you get it fixed soon.
He said that the temperature controls the choke and this may have caused the problem. Either way the radiator was fixed and my problem stopped. Somehow it must’ve caused my problem. I’m marking it up to another weird problem from a 51 year old car. I drove her for a couple of hours after leaving the shop and she was her old good running self.

He said that the temperature controls the choke and this may have caused the problem. Either way the radiator was fixed and my problem stopped. Somehow it must’ve caused my problem. I’m marking it up to another weird problem from a 51 year old car. I drove her for a couple of hours after leaving the shop and she was her old good running self.
Well, that's a relief, but as you say, weird.

I have a fuel problem not sure where to look. It seems like unless I’m pushing on the gas pedal the engine stops like I’m out of gas. Won’t idle, sitting at a light. Hard to start. I have an about a six inch incline going into my garage I kept stalling trying to get car up that incline. Any suggestions
Sounds like you need to replace your fuel pump!

Back