Magnum 500 recondition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72cj351

Reaction score
My Car
2F05Q197902
Bright blue met.
Blue vinyl
4-speed
3.25 axle
I have the original set of magnum 500 for my 72 mach1 but they are in rough shape. Does anyone know of a buisness that refurbishs wheels, or would the cost make it not worth it.

you would need to contact a rechromer.

costs are something like 200$ a wheel plus 25-75$ for a stripping charge depending on how bad the rust and pitting is.

then they could tell you the pitting is too severe and tell you not to chrome.

a repop is going to run you 160$ a wheel.

unless you really want to spring for the cost of a replate it isn't worth it.

also there are different thickness of chrome and you want something like factory which is a triple chrome dip.

now sometimes if the chrome is just covered in rust, you can sort of bring it back with a chemical rust remover.

if the rusting was bad then its going to have areas of shiny chrome and matte chrome, and it will start rusting again pretty quick, so you either go with a rechrome or shoot clear on them and cross fingers it looks ok.

the repops are pretty junky in the chrome department, the plating is thin and they tend to rust outside very quickly.

I have the original set of magnum 500 for my 72 mach1 but they are in rough shape. Does anyone know of a buisness that refurbishs wheels, or would the cost make it not worth it.
Post pictures of "rough" I have used 0000 Steel wool to brighten some cloudiness on originals, and remove light rust. Coat them with a good wax or chrome polish afterwards. Finally, only drive on really sunny days so no one can see any flaws!

I'm assuming they are the correct 15" magnums. 14" ones would be incorrect (if you are concerned with originality).

I've seen folks use aluminum foil and diet coke to clean up rusty looking chrome. Check out Youtube for that...

Ray

I took my originals to a powder-coating company. They sand blasted and then powder coated black pieces. Cost would be about $300 for all four. Just a suggestion. It took off a lot of the crap on the chrome.

20140330_215240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the "Wheel Vintiques" 15" repops on mine and the chrome is flawless. Far, far superior to the chrome on my originals were even the day the car came home from the dealership.

I put these repops on nearly 20 years ago and they look perfect today: no rust, no flaking or hazed chrome...nothing.

Now, the repops are NOT 100% accurate: The shape of the rim is a little different, and the spokes are shiny chrome, like the rim is...not a "brushed" finish like the originals.

Not a big deal if concours originality is not your goal. Only an MCA judge or a fanatical enthusiast would ever know or even see the difference.

These chrome on my original Magnums never looked as good as these repops...even when new. It was always a little "hazy", and there were even quite-visible inch-wide bands of discoloration where it looked like a clamp or something may have attached when the rims were dipped. This was on all four rims.

The "WV" rims have excellent "show chrome" sparkle and flawless shine. I like them much better than my originals.

Same story with my rear bumper: the OEM had rather substandard, slightly "hazy", or a white-ish appearance to the chrome. I was going to buy a new repop many years ago, but the repop bumpers back then were not correctly shaped on the ends, so I had my original "show chromed" instead. It came out awesome...the difference between it and OEM is night and day, no comparison.

Not sure if the latest bumpers have become more accurate...mine still looks perfect so I have not bothered to check.

Post pictures of "rough" I have used 0000 Steel wool to brighten some cloudiness on originals, and remove light rust. Coat them with a good wax or chrome polish afterwards. Finally, only drive on really sunny days so no one can see any flaws!
Rough meaning basicly no chrome left

Back