Manual conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The text reads like it converts a manual (3 speed or toploader) to a T-5. Do you already have a manual car?

Converting an auto to a manual is quite a lot of work, and from what I gather the hardest part to find is a z-bar.

The swap from auto to manual is not that hard if you have a doner car. I did the conversion from a 72 Grande (manual) into a 71 Sportsroof (C4) years ago. Everything bolts right up on the pedal assemblies, the mini console worked just fine for the boot in place of the auto shifter housing, no problems at all with the mechanical changes. The column lock even worked when the manual was shifted into reverse.

The z-bar or bell crank (depending on your choice of terminology) created a substantial problem with the exhaust. I had a 302 and there were no headers that were designed for the manual transmission.

Still, the conversion was done over about 8 hours. The doner Grande made the whole process easy and fast.

True, if you have a Windsor based engine you can forget bolt on exhuast. I have a Windsor and there is no way to get around the zbar unless I go with a cable clutch which is not a big priority for me now. I am searching for some 289 hipo manifolds to hold me over as they flow really well, should work ok on 302.

There is no z bar needed with that kit, the video is pretty cool on that link. The only difference with an auto car vs manual as starting point is I need a pedal, and I can either buy the used assembly or there is an 'add' on clutch pedal that bolts on to my assembly for $170

I bought a wrecked (rollover) 72 convertible and salvaged the manual set up for my car. Total investment: $500.00.

How about going with a clutch cable setup? It's much easier thn dealing with 40 year old parts you may or may not be able to find. I did a C-4 to TKO-600 in my '68 coupe and it was pretty easy. The most expensive part (of course) was the transmission. I have a 393w with a 9qt Canton road race oil pan, mid-length headers and I have no fitment issues. I'm certainly going to do this swap again on my '73 Mach-1. I purchased my kit through Modern Driveline. You can buy as much or as little as you need (cable kit, shifters, pedals, transmissions, flywheel, clutch). It's at least worth looking into.

I have a t-5 behind a 1st gen 5.0 EFI motor in my 72 coupe and I used swapped the pedals from another car and used the cable conversion. I also used a 70 mustang T-5 crossmember and so far it works awesome and pretty easy to install for the most part , the only thing that really sucked was putting in the pedals.

Back