Matching Numbers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that would work..if it was a chevy of the same years..lol....early chevy would date code there motors and just throw them in what ever cars...cause i had a big block 402 chevy in my truck..said passanger on the heads..codes said it was a hi preformance 402..out of a 70's chevelle or malabu..come to find out..you could throw that motor in any chevelle or whatever of the same year ..and tell them its original motor..and nothing they can say to prove you wrong....ford on other hand wasnt so loose with there motor codes...and made sure they were coded too each car.

, my question is are these two build dates close enough to be considerd matching numbers when I swap the parts from my donor car to mine? :huh:

All this talk about numbers matching is a tough one. here is a couple of senareios

Depending on whom you talk to, the definition of a “matching numbers” car may vary. A classic car purist might say that a truly original, matching numbers car will still have all the parts that it was manufactured with, including the tiniest nut and bolt. That would be very hard to find in an older car, so a more practical definition might be that all the parts will be either from the assembly line at the time of production or have been replaced with authentic NOS (new old stock) parts.

The most general use of the term “matching numbers” would mean that the engine and transmission are marked with the same sequence number as the chassis VIN number, and the rear axle/differential’s date code and casting number corresponds with the vehicle that's being checked.

So you decide, to me a true matching numbers car is the first one.

In the end, we all did what we wanted with our cars... Myself... I know that this car is my life´s classic car so i´m not in a hurry... I know i´m gonna repaint it some day, i know i´m gonna do engine, trans, interior again.. everything again.... So... in the midtime, i´m driving the car as i´m able to built it... You know i´m from far far away... My 72 is the only 71-72 fastback in my country so donnor cars are not an option... Besides all that, i don´t have any money what so ever to "invest" besides what i´m doing, 100 dollar a month for the car... that´s actually the ammount of money i can count on after i pay all my bills, rent, food and the life stuff...

So, I think everyone has his plan and when somebody is doubting about that plan is when we jump for help.... This is actually a thread about that... This friend doesn´t know what to step in front of his Mach1 project and we all are telling him our versions to help him...

Bottom line, if he was afraid of investing money to make his car as close to originality as he could get, my advice is that he shouldn´t... I´m positive about a good original Mach1 is going to cost as much as a good original 69-70 mach 1... The original the better but if you are trying to be sure of something, you can be sure that if you make things right, you are going to make them just once and your car will gain not only in sales price but on drivability and looks for when the car is still yours...

If this friend is not willing to invest 15 to 20 K in the car right now well... i wasn´t able to do that either and i built my car with less that 5K, in a country that taxes doubles the original cost of each part and materials you need to use...

I did the car myself from scratch, learning day after day how things are supposed to be done... My car is not show quality and yes, it is a numbers matching bla bla... but i dont even remember i´m driving a 1 of 1 mustang in this corner of the world... Every second i´m behind my wheel, i feel happy to accomplish my dream of once owning a mustang fastback, plus being able to say i did it myself, plus remembering this particular car that lived his life 1 block from my mother´s house was always her dream car and now, it is mine and of course, it is hers too...

So... you are going to build it your way because this is your car and not your business... If i can give any advice is to do what makes you proud...

First think if you are building it to keep or to let go as soon as you do that first and only dream trip... Then, from that, start a good plan of doing the car as you and you family can enjoy... enjoy the process that is going to be in your mind every minute you spend with the car...

If you build the car for you, to enjoy... who cares if the engine has not the right stamping numbers?? you wanted the engine that this car is supposed to wear, ok, you already have it... I wouldn´t worry about anything else than doing things right according to your desire... And of course, we are going to be here with you all the way, no matter if you decide to make a show quality 80K mach 1 or you spend 5K and build the greatest mustang you can... THE BETTER MUSTANG IN THE WORLD... The only world that matters is your own...

Hope it helps and love this thread! :p

Back