MDL T5 swap kit questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augie

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande
In the process of ordering parts to do a t5 swap into my 71 Grande. It is currently an automatic. I believe I have everything picked out as it should be except for the fly wheel and clutch. My 302 is stock and no time soon is it going to be pushing more horsepower than close to stock. I have long tube headers and will eventually have a 4bbl carb and intake. I will only be driving on the street, although it will be driven hard on occasion I'm sure.

Would a cast flywheel and the organic clutch be an ok combination for my car?

I am trying to do the swap as cheap as possible but do not want to be so cheap that I am going to have to replace a blown up flywheel or a burnt out clutch soon. I have heard that cast flywheels are more prone to cracking and breaking, but I believe that is only on high-horse applications. As far as the clutch goes, I don't know a whole lot. I am ordering through MDL.

I am trying to do the swap as cheap as possible but do not want to be so cheap that I am going to have to replace a blown up flywheel or a burnt out clutch soon. I have heard that cast flywheels are more prone to cracking and breaking, but I believe that is only on high-horse applications. As far as the clutch goes, I don't know a whole lot. I am ordering through MDL.

Stock flywheels are cast nodular iron, so no big deal there.

Thanks for the info guys. Another question, I am doing the cable set up. What exactly is the Cable style clutch lever and the Clutch lever cover?

Also, should I go with a 10 or 10.5 inch clutch and fly wheel?

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.25.00 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The lever moves the throwout bearing, cable style as apposed to mechanical linkage.

The cover is just a sheet metal cup that covers the end of the lever and covers the

hole for it on the bell housing.

10.5 disc is better than 10

The lever moves the throwout bearing, cable style as apposed to mechanical linkage.

The cover is just a sheet metal cup that covers the end of the lever and covers the

hole for it on the bell housing.

10.5 disc is better than 10
Thanks for the info!

The swap isn't that difficult. I changed the 302/c4 in my '68 coupe to a TKO-600 and a 393w. It was pretty straight forward..

PM me and I can send you some pics of my install if you like..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back