Milky Oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any pictures of the milky oil?

A compression test, IMO, checks the top end for compression only. If you're lucky, you can find a head gasket leak that way. Since the plugs were all the same color, and none steam cleaned, I'm going to guess it isn't getting water in the chamber(s).

Another possibility is a split cylinder wall, if you truly have coolant loss that isn't through the top end.

I would fix your rocker issue, fill the cooling system with straight water, change the oil, and see if you can recreate the leak and/or verify (water) loss. Bubbles in the rad when running with the cap off will help narrow the issue to a leaky head gasket. Split cylinder can still let it build compression but leak water into the crankcase, not burning it through the exhaust.

I wouldn't recommend "fixing what ain't broke" (possible good head gaskets) or tossing a band aid on a serious problem (stop leak). Throwing money at it won't help... don't get stuck in the swirling bowl of frustration :)

A little more analyzing is in order.

I'd consider a leakdown test if others fail. Can only help, and can help find bad rings or valve sealing as a bonus.

Especially since those rockers should come off for inspection. Pressure test the rad at the filler to check for pressure loss also. You could even do that test without oil in the pan. Keep the drain plug out, and if water comes out when pressurizing the rad... bingo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are Comp Cams, found a couple that broke like this online. It's a simple fix but thought I would post it anyways. Glad it wasn't rod knock.

Trying to decide if I should just use coolant stop leak and try it out or just say screw it and change out the head gaskets and timing gasket.
ok, well those rockers are made in india.

if it did not leak water before and all you did was change the head gaskets, the logical place to start would be there but there is no indication of them leaking water.

i have had a few timing covers leak water into the oil . the last one had a hole eaten thru the steel plate.
I was going to post that they were probably made in China. Lol. But refrained. Pushrod is straight and contact with the valve looks good. So I figure it was just a defect in it. Just lucky that it was caught before trying to drive with it. I have probably 500 (hard) miles on the rockers so if something was binding I'm sure it would have reared its head sooner.

The leak happened after storage. I did not touch the head gaskets or anything.

Any pictures of the milky oil?

A compression test, IMO, checks the top end for compression only. If you're lucky, you can find a head gasket leak that way. Since the plugs were all the same color, and none steam cleaned, I'm going to guess it isn't getting water in the chamber(s).

Another possibility is a split cylinder wall, if you truly have coolant loss that isn't through the top end.

I would fix your rocker issue, fill the cooling system with straight water, change the oil, and see if you can recreate the leak and/or verify (water) loss. Bubbles in the rad when running with the cap off will help narrow the issue to a leaky head gasket. Split cylinder can still let it build compression but leak water into the crankcase, not burning it through the exhaust.

I wouldn't recommend "fixing what ain't broke" (possible good head gaskets) or tossing a band aid on a serious problem (stop leak). Throwing money at it won't help... don't get stuck in the swirling bowl of frustration :)

A little more analyzing is in order.

I'd consider a leakdown test if others fail. Can only help, and can help find bad rings or valve sealing as a bonus.

Especially since those rockers should come off for inspection. Pressure test the rad at the filler to check for pressure loss also. You could even do that test without oil in the pan. Keep the drain plug out, and if water comes out when pressurizing the rad... bingo.
I didn't take any pictures and it has since settled and only a slight bit of white on the dipstick. Best way I could describe it is if you had a cup full of white milk and mixed in a bit of chocolate syrup but didn't stir it yet. It wasn't all of the oil looking like this. Just a bit on the dipstick. I will drain the oil tomorrow and post a picture of what I find.

I really like the pressurizing the coolant system with oil out of the engine. I'm going to try that.

Unfortunately I go back to work tomorrow for a week so progress will be nonexistent until then. I really appreciate the ideas guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are Comp Cams, found a couple that broke like this online. It's a simple fix but thought I would post it anyways. Glad it wasn't rod knock.

Trying to decide if I should just use coolant stop leak and try it out or just say screw it and change out the head gaskets and timing gasket.
ok, well those rockers are made in india.

if it did not leak water before and all you did was change the head gaskets, the logical place to start would be there but there is no indication of them leaking water.

i have had a few timing covers leak water into the oil . the last one had a hole eaten thru the steel plate.
I was going to post that they were probably made in China. Lol. But refrained. Pushrod is straight and contact with the valve looks good. So I figure it was just a defect in it. Just lucky that it was caught before trying to drive with it. I have probably 500 (hard) miles on the rockers so if something was binding I'm sure it would have reared its head sooner.

The leak happened after storage. I did not touch the head gaskets or anything.

scorpion rockers . endurance type or standard valve covers and race type for tall valve covers . the race ones are cheaper.

I didn't take any pictures and it has since settled and only a slight bit of white on the dipstick. Best way I could describe it is if you had a cup full of white milk and mixed in a bit of chocolate syrup but didn't stir it yet. It wasn't all of the oil looking like this. Just a bit on the dipstick. I will drain the oil tomorrow and post a picture of what I find.
Whoa, if it is just some milk above the full line on the dipstick..... and/or maybe under the rocker covers and oil fill cap... stop.

That's why I would like to have seen a pic. Antifreeze-ified oil never really settles out. It will be 5+ quarts of milky gak through and through, takes a couple of changes to clear it.

IF the old oil itself is black **and not overfull** (indicating additional fluid missing from the rad and mixed into the oil), change it and run it. The dipstick/fill cap milk is just condensation. Will need to get up to temp for a good long while for that to kinda go away.

Heck, I'd still change the antifreeze, especially if you don't know how old it is. Flush it all real good and run straight water until you're satisfied (not too long or it'll get rusty inside) that it's not leaking internally.

I have a funny suspicion that you're fine......

The more I think about it the more I think you are correct. I went out and took a pic of what I seen on the dipstick. Mind you before there was a little bit of dark brown in the white. I wiped off the dipstick and it came out clean oil. Probably just condensation and crap from sitting for so long that didn't get flushed out when I changed the oil. Under the valve covers looks like clean oil. I ordered a black stone kit anyways and just waiting for it to show up. I think seeing that, coupled with the ticking and white smoke billowing out from under the passenger side of the hood due to what I'm guessing is all the trans fluid I probably dripped on the headers after fighting with the leak, put me over the top and into panic mode. Lol.

image.jpeg

that looks like crap from your dipstick tube . if the oil had more than maybe 2 ounces of oil in it, all of it would somewhat milky, it would not look like the oil on your stick does where some is clean and clear and some is milky white.

also, if there is enough water in it, it will settle out in the bottom of the pan and come out first as clear water when you remove the drain plug.

Update for you guys. Ran the car up to temp and no milky oil. So that's the good news. I now have a new sound I need figured out as I don't remember it being there last time I tried running it. But I am making a new post for that.

Back