Monstrosity of a spoiler.. Where did this come from?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
What in the world is this ugly thing on the back of my 73 Mach 1? It came with the car so I've left it in place for now. About to swap it for the correct one, but figured before I take it off, let me see if anyone can ID this ugly thing.

Can anyone identify where this spoiler came from? I didn't know anything this ugly could ever exist. Hahahaha

Attachments

• 20230909_154657.jpg
    20230909_154657.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230909_154702.jpg
    20230909_154702.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230909_154712.jpg
    20230909_154712.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230909_154725.jpg
    20230909_154725.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230909_154740.jpg
    20230909_154740.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
It's not that one. Factory 05-09 spoilers had some contours on the top side that are not on the car in question.

My guess...hmmm?
Maybe 1983 Firebird hatchback.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!! Thanks for sharing that ebay listing. You rock.

The seller shows the measurements and it's a perfect match.

Next question: anyone need a used Firebird spoiler? Hahahaha
You said 'monstrosity', so I automatically think Camaro or Firebird...

the big problem i see it removing the old u don't like and replacing it with a correct one it the MOUNTNG holes. if same do it.... if not how are u going to fill and paint the holes not used... maybe reconsider and leaving it alone.

You can probably fill those holes with a grommet and not have it too noticeable.

When it comes to "wings", nothing pushes the envelope of good taste like the Import clowns do. It's like there is a competition to see who can bolt on the biggest eyesore to the rear of the car, camber kick-outs of 30 degrees on the front, lack of any meanifull suspension travel, 8" diameter exhaust collector tips, monochromatic pastel paint, inline vortex generator quills on the roofline........all pretty much silliness. When I see those massive wings on those cars, it begs the question......just how much down force DO you need on the rear, of a front-wheel drive car?

Now, as long as I'm thinking of silly things on cars driving down the road today, what is with almost all of the manufacturers styling every car with fake air scoops/ inlets/grilles. Go look at any new car today. The front ends will have black plastic fake air inlets, maybe to mimick brake cooling grillework, who knows, right and left of the grille opening on allmost every single car made today. Same at the sides or rear on so many. These "styling cues" do nothing for performance, as they are just for looks. WTF? Detroit cuts back on little things here and there to save pennies on each car, then, goes out of their way to festoon cars with black plastic applique's everywhere. Seems like this would cause more drag around the front of the car.....just sayin'. Open this thumbnail, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Fake Air Inlets.JPG
    Fake Air Inlets.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
the big problem i see it removing the old u don't like and replacing it with a correct one it the MOUNTNG holes. if same do it.... if not how are u going to fill and paint the holes not used... maybe reconsider and leaving it alone.
I suppose I have two options there. Fill the holes with weld (just have to avoid getting the panel too hot) and then grind it down, finishing with a thin coat of lightweight body filler and some primer sealer. This may nit be ideal as the inside looks like the frame of the trunk lid was cut into.

Then there's the easy way. Anybody have a trunk lid to sell? 🙂

Back