More Ebay oddities - 71 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-351-V8-Manual-Trans-/300640661475?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45ff946fe3

Is it really a Mach1 or a Sportsroof? Three speed 2 bbl 351 with dual exhaust with a non NASA hood? :huh:

Not even worth mentioning the trunk stripe is missing and the black along the bottom of the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-1971-Mach-1-Mustang-/170752829259?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c1a9674b

"This car is only a few steps away from being a perfect car" I'll let you guys be the judge of that. :rolleyes:

The first five characters of the VIN should tell you if it is a Mach I, i.e. 1F05H would say that it's a 1971 Dearborn born Mach I with a 351-2V engine.

Well it says it has a marti report proving its a mach 1. The engine and trans are entirely possible for a mach 1, but you don't see many of the flat hoods on mach 1's, I'm not sure if the nasa hood was part of the mach 1 package. I'm sure if it was then you could custom order a flat hood if you wanted.

The first five characters of the VIN should tell you if it is a Mach I, i.e. 1F05H would say that it's a 1971 Dearborn born Mach I with a 351-2V engine.
My bad - the seller listed this info but not the VIN:

Per the Marti Report the mustang came from factory with:

63R - Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof

3 - Bright Red Paint

1A - Black Ruffino/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats

6 - 3.00 Standard Axle Ratio

1 - Three-speed Manual Transmission

Powersteering, Sport Deck Rear Seat, AM Radio, Tinted Glass Complete

Evidently, 2,114 sportroofs in 1971 (including Mach's) came with a 351 2bbl and a three speed manual. I just don't think I've ever seen one.

Car #1: 63R is either a Mach 1 or a SportsRoof, right? Like DrDew said, 1F05H would be an H-code Mach 1, but hell even my F code is a 63R body style.

Car #2: "The motor is a 351M (Modified), with a C-6 automatic transmission." WRONG! 351C maybe...

ETA: Car #2 could have a 351M if the guy took a later motor and put it in there, but I believe the 351M came around in 1975 so obviously it wouldn't be stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car number 1 also has the fold-down rear seat...odd duck for sure!

Neither of these '71 Mustangs seem to be particularly "odd" based on the number supposedly built.

Three (3) different hoods were available on the 1971 Mach 1s to include the standard SportsRoof hood without NASA scoops. While I do not have the data readily available as to how many Mach 1s were built in 1971, only 8,194 of the 60,453 Fast Backs (to include Mach 1s) had the Ram Air Hood in 1971. Surely, a number of 1971 Mach 1s did not have the Ram Air Hood:).

On the Mustang where the Seller cites a "351M", they are obviously referring to a 351C (M Code). There were 11,734 (out of a total 60,453 Fast Backs) of the M-Coded 351C Mustangs built with the C6 transmission in 1971.

As to the fold down seats, there were 11,699 (out of 60,453 Fastbacks) built for 1971.

Keep in mind that all Mach 1s are included in the Fast Back category for production number purposes in most reference materials.

BT

You're probably right BT, but the second car is still a head-scratcher. Maybe it is an M code 351 Cleveland, but he's not advertising it that way.
It has been my experience that a LOT of folks (including me, at one time) have been confused over the years relative to the different versions of the Cleveland Motors.

The problem is made larger by the fact we have had 351 engines in two basic types (Windsor and Cleveland); then we have the Clevelands with multiple Engine Codes (F, H, M, Q, and R). When you add in the later "Modified Cleveland", it can really get confusing:).

Hopefully, Sites like this one will help to educate people. This is the type of thread that could go a LONG way toward doing just that and just might make for a GREAT Weekly Fun Question sometime soon.

Good Posting!

BT

This is the kind of stuff I love! This type of thread, and eBay listings, are a great source of info. What the heck would we do without the internet? It would take forever to discover what we do now in minutes.

Also, the 1971 Mustangs could not be ordered with a combination of a 351C-2V and a 4 spd tranny. You had to move up to a 4V for that toploader. Although, I wonder if the 2V cars had the staggered shocks when you ordered a MachI with manual 3spd?

Ya know, when I spotted my Prototype car on eBay, it was the non-NASA hood and Boss Blackout that immediately got my attention. Though I was sure it was not the prototype starring me in the face at the time (wrong) it looked just like the photos I had seen, 35 years earlier. I laughed it off at the time, certain that someone had just "made up" the car's exterior. But deep down I had hope it was "the one." I even told my wife that I wouldn't tell anybody what I thought it looked like, because I am sure they would laugh at me even considering the idea. Surprise, surprise.

This is the kind of stuff I love! This type of thread, and eBay listings, are a great source of info. What the heck would we do without the internet? It would take forever to discover what we do now in minutes.

Also, the 1971 Mustangs could not be ordered with a combination of a 351C-2V and a 4 spd tranny. You had to move up to a 4V for that toploader. Although, I wonder if the 2V cars had the staggered shocks when you ordered a MachI with manual 3spd?

Ya know, when I spotted my Prototype car on eBay, it was the non-NASA hood and Boss Blackout that immediately got my attention. Though I was sure it was not the prototype starring me in the face at the time (wrong) it looked just like the photos I had seen, 35 years earlier. I laughed it off at the time, certain that someone had just "made up" the car's exterior. But deep down I had hope it was "the one." I even told my wife that I wouldn't tell anybody what I thought it looked like, because I am sure they would laugh at me even considering the idea. Surprise, surprise.
What a score to find that car.

Everytime I see someone on this site and I already have heard about their car I get excited. I mean we have the Pegasus car, the Boss prototype car. I feel like the site is growing exponentially.

Sorry off topic. lol.

According to the "Marti Book", there actually was one (1) Fastback built in 1971 with the 351C 2V and 4-speed.

It seems there have been a number of prototype or unique Mustangs built over the years:).

BT

When the Marti book says " ram air hood "

I think he means actual ram air

Book states

ram air hood

1971 - 8,194 fastbacks

1972 - 1,796 fastbacks with foot note 1

Note 1 = available on 351-2V and 4V engines

1973 - 309 fastbacks with foot note 2

Note 2 = "and every last one of them was a 351-2V"

That make me think actual ram air VS ram air hood.

The nasa hood was standard on the Mach 1

I have heard you could get a 302 Mach 1 with or with out the nasa hood

According to the "Marti Book", there actually was one (1) Fastback built in 1971 with the 351C 2V and 4-speed.

It seems there have been a number of prototype or unique Mustangs built over the years:).

BT
Believe it or not, the Boss prototype car is THAT one 351C-2V 4-spd car too! When they shipped the car to Los Angeles, Ford had the "G" code Boss 302 motor removed, and replaced with a 351C-2V. However, they left the rest of the drivetrain alone, including the toploader. When they changed the VIN to an "H" code, it is believed to be the only one sold that way in 1971.

Also, when you look at Kevin Marti's book, did you ever notice the production figures for the Boss 351 are 1805/1806? Well, this car would seem to explain that discrepancy too. The prototype car was invoiced as 1F05R100053 at one point, believed to be when it served as the Boss 351 display car too. (I know, that's an 05, Mach1, it's not a typo, and the car was actually "born" a Mach1 Boss302 on August 3rd, 1970 and still carries all the Mach1 trim).

If you look at the link for the notes from Lois Emminger on the first 100 cars (in the link section here) she lists the car as an "R" code, and notes that it was changed from an 05 to an 02 car.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/234286/thread/1219631751/Diamonds+are+Forever+Car+on+Ebay

Check out this link, and when the picture comes up, click on the gas cap area of the car. When it comes up full size, look closely at your screen. You will see the honeycomb and the flip down gas cap (not standard on any Boss car !)

http://www.hdautomotivewallpaper.com/images/wallpapers/71_boss351_2_2560-668610.jpeg

Sorry, I get so windy on this subject (LOL) -Andyy

Last edited by a moderator:

BT
Believe it or not, the Boss prototype car is THAT one 351C-2V 4-spd car too! When they shipped the car to Los Angeles, Ford had the "G" code Boss 302 motor removed, and replaced with a 351C-2V. However, they left the rest of the drivetrain alone, including the toploader. When they changed the VIN to an "H" code, it is believed to be the only one sold that way in 1971.

Also, when you look at Kevin Marti's book, did you ever notice the production figures for the Boss 351 are 1805/1806? Well, this car would seem to explain that discrepancy too. The prototype car was invoiced as 1F05R100053 at one point, believed to be when it served as the Boss 351 display car too. (I know, that's an 05, Mach1, it's not a typo, and the car was actually "born" a Mach1 Boss302 on August 3rd, 1970 and still carries all the Mach1 trim).

If you look at the link for the notes from Lois Emminger on the first 100 cars (in the link section here) she lists the car as an "R" code, and notes that it was changed from an 05 to an 02 car.

Check out this link, and when the picture comes up, click on the gas cap area of the car. When it comes up full size, look closely at your screen. You will see the honeycomb and the flip down gas cap (not standard on any Boss car !)

http://www.hdautomotivewallpaper.com/images/wallpapers/71_boss351_2_2560-668610.jpeg

Sorry, I get so windy on this subject (LOL) -Andyy
Nothing wrong with getting "windy", Andy!

This is especially true when one is passing on GREAT information.

THANKS for sharing!

BT

Looks like this one is finally getting sold to someone. I still think this is quite a rare find, given the options and its apparent original condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-MARTI-REPORT-1-0F-1-RESTO-READY-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-79K-MI-/120833228306?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c2238be12

71mustanggreen06.jpg

Back