More Ebay oddities - 71 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this one is finally getting sold to someone. I still think this is quite a rare find, given the options and its apparent original condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-MARTI-REPORT-1-0F-1-RESTO-READY-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-79K-MI-/120833228306?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c2238be12

71mustanggreen06.jpg
Look close at lower quarters are loaded with bondo. It's not that original. Some one did a good job blending the paint.

Looks like this one is finally getting sold to someone. I still think this is quite a rare find, given the options and its apparent original condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-MARTI-REPORT-1-0F-1-RESTO-READY-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-79K-MI-/120833228306?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c2238be12

71mustanggreen06.jpg
Look close at lower quarters are loaded with bondo. It's not that original. Some one did a good job blending the paint.
This car will need a complete restoration from the looks of it underneath. I'd be afraid to drive it as it looks like it has been an outdoor car for many years and the rust has eaten through the exhaust and probably more. If it's all original then all the bushings are dry rotted and I'm guessing all the seals are pretty worn out too. It is an interesting color for a sportsroof and might make a nice Mach1 or Boss clone if someone wanted to change the plain look but I suppose that would drive the purists crazy. :rolleyes:

71mustanggreen06.jpg
This car will need a complete restoration from the looks of it underneath. I'd be afraid to drive it as it looks like it has been an outdoor car for many years and the rust has eaten through the exhaust and probably more. If it's all original then all the bushings are dry rotted and I'm guessing all the seals are pretty worn out too. It is an interesting color for a sportsroof and might make a nice Mach1 or Boss clone if someone wanted to change the plain look but I suppose that would drive the purists crazy. :rolleyes:
Yes, this car looks like it will need full restoration, but that is expected for a 40-year-old car. The reason I think it's interesting and rare is not because I think you can buy it and drive it, but rather because it is a non-Mach1, yet has the 4spd, 351c-4V, has A/C and is an uncommon color. AND most importantly, does not look like it has previously been disassembled. I say looks "original" because it looks to have all parts that came on the car from the factory, which is important to accurately restoring, and reflects a probable easier past use of the car.

The fact that it is not a Mach1 gives it a cleaner and uncommon look for this model car (most have had the NASA hood and stripes applied, whether original to the car or not.) When is the last time you saw a rear deck lid with those "M-U-S-T-A-N-G" letters ? I don't think I would pay as much as they are bidding, given the cost of the restoration, since the car probably isn't particularly collectible. But I will say, for the right price, I could see myself doing this car over. The car reminds me of the 1969 GT Fastbacks, with their clean slick look and without the "bricka-brack" as Larry Shinoda called it. I enjoy the Mach1's too, but this gives nice contrast sitting next to one.

71 BossProto... I agree too much for THAT car ... however some cool to it. My issue is "Lakeland FL"....

i LOVE the ads... "Southern Florida Car" as if it is as pristine as a Cali car or an AZ car. Truth is I have a house about 50 miles from there and I was about to ship my convertible to Tn to my brother just to keep it from RUSTING. The air engulfs cars inside and out and eats them.

This is really odd. That Grabber Green 71 car was supposedly sold, as the highest bid was above his reserve and sold for $9750. However, the car was immediately relisted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-MARTI-REPORT-1-0F-1-RESTO-READY-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-79K-MI-/140672947973?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c0c2d705

WTF? Shill bidding? I guess buyer beware. It's a shame how many people have ruined eBay. 12 years ago it was a much smaller, more honest place to deal. Sucks now. Anyone know some better links for online auctions of cars and parts. Can we start one? Meg made zillions! :idea:

This is really odd. That Grabber Green 71 car was supposedly sold, as the highest bid was above his reserve and sold for $9750. However, the car was immediately relisted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-MARTI-REPORT-1-0F-1-RESTO-READY-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-79K-MI-/140672947973?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c0c2d705

WTF? Shill bidding? I guess buyer beware. It's a shame how many people have ruined eBay. 12 years ago it was a much smaller, more honest place to deal. Sucks now. Anyone know some better links for online auctions of cars and parts. Can we start one? Meg made zillions! :idea:
EBAY SUCKS period ! How true what a great place from 1999 till 2004 it all went downhill from then on. As I said in the past... car sales on ebay mean NOTHING !!!!! When you hear "Oh it went for on ebay" Tell the seller to stop dreaming. 95% of the sales nowadays are shill or are never consummated..To be honest you have to be crazy or just plain stupid to sell a car on ebay. Unless you do the free classified with a set price.

http://ebaysucks.com/

http://paypalsucks.com/

Is that really Grabber Green? It could have faded but not from the door jambs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that really Grabber Green? It could have faded but not from the door jambs...
Paint Code Z was Grabber green metallic. It's not the same as the 1970 grabber green.
Thanks for the clarification vamach! Yea it wasn't called 'metallic' in 70.

GrabberGreen.jpg

Paint Code Z was Grabber green metallic. It's not the same as the 1970 grabber green.
If you have seen one in person, it's quite different from the enamel grabber color from 1970. The 71 paint has a distinct metallic shine.

If you have seen one in person, it's quite different from the enamel grabber color from 1970. The 71 paint has a distinct metallic shine.Wow that's a sweet looking Mach1.

Looks like he struck a deal with a buyer and ended the auction early for $10K. I would have gone 5K if I was bidding on it. Wait till he gets the estimates for the restoration, and asks, "what will it be worth after it is restored?" :dodgy:

Back