Motivation gone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good to step back and refresh now and again, I typically do a "winter project" to try to improve some aspect of the car each year. This year has been difficult for me as I don't have ready access to my car. I typically try to keep the car in a drivable condition to keep interest in moving forward, that would be difficult for you with your car down to a bare shell. Just pick sub projects and do them right cutting minimal corners and keep making progress. Maybe work on restoring the dash and bag it up for when it's needed, something you can do in an environment other than the garage. It'll come together sooner than you know. Be careful though as I know a local guy who has been "working" on his car for 25 years because he wants it "right" when he gets it out.

I feel your pain, I'm 3 years in on my car and it is now finally looking and driving good but still have a way to go. I finally had to step back and take a break from it to keep my sanity. To me this is a hobby that I love but it shouldn't feel like a job to me;)

I wish I could stay on my project long enough to get burned out.:dodgy: I find that as soon as I get some progress going some event or maintenance comes up.

You have accomplished allot on your project. It may be time to do some small projects that you can complete and sit back look at. Or buy something cool for the car that you can look at and get excited for the day you can install it. I wouldn't take an all out break just a different approach.

I went to a car show in South Bend today, It wasn't too bad somewhat limited being inside a convention center but it was warm and there were a lot of people. There were only half dozen vintage mustangs no Big bodies and one sandblasted 70 shelby on a rotisseri that was kinda cool. I did see a 56(?) T-bird that had paint that was near flawless. I got a kick out of some of the paint jobs that looked like they were painted in a barn(probably were). I think it helped my motivation Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I might strip one of the doors I purchased near chicago last february and expoxy prime as a small we can get this done project to get some sort of feeling of accomplishment. Thanks again for your support, Its appreciated

You know what they say about eating an entire elephant. You take one bite at a time.

If things get too intense, like you work on your car every free minute of your life and the work ahead of you doesn't seem to get less you get frustrated. It's a kind if burn out syndrome.

But those things suddenly tilt the other way and you start to make visible progress.

And that progress works like an avalanche. With every single tiny little progress the thing looks more like you're getting somewhere and the huge load of work ahead of you shrinks in proportion.

Now you only see the parts and carcass but once you get to the point when you can put the doors and fenders on your heap of metal parts suddenly turns into a car.

Next step you put primer on and all the body surfaces look the same thus making the car look closer to the end result.

Get the paint on and if looks almost done. That's what I meant.

Imagine going up a hill. You might get tired on your way up but once you reach the top it gets a lot easier.

Hang in there. When you give up, all that work and time and money you put into it will have been in vain.

Latest posts

Back