Mustang Registration Fees

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Turtle said, any of the non-standard registrations in Pennsylvania like Historical, Street Rod, Antique, Classic, etc. are a one time fee. Looks like for once, we actually get a good deal on SOMETHING.

Classic registration (license plates) are the same 75 bucks, but still require annual "safety and emissions" inspection stickers. I have 2 cars done this way. When I do the '71, I am going to utilize one of the new laws that allow the non-standard regs to reinstate a retired or era appropriate plate. In my case, for the '71, I found and purchased a new unused 1971 PA plate (still in its original paper envelope!) and will be able to register it any way that I want, and use it on the car for the same one time fee. (Doesn't have to be new, you can use an old beat up one if you wish). I'll just have to send the title to the state and have them change it to whatever I choose (I will probably go the Antique route, since it does NOT require inspection of any sort).

I believe motorcycles have this same option, too.

They just started this deal a couple of years ago. Pretty neat, I think. Whoever went to bat in Harrisburg (our state capital) for us vehicle nuts, I would like to thank!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fee is now $56.75 one time fee for collector vehicle plates.

1. Plate requirements
You must be a WA state vehicle owner, to get these plates.

They can only be used on the vehicle they were purchased for.

The plates are displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If you provide a set of restored plates, they may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle.

You don’t need to display month/year tabs on the plates.

2. Vehicle requirements

Vehicles with these plates:

Must have a current registration.

Must be more than 30 years old.

Be capable of operating on the highway.

Be owned and operated as collector vehicles.

May be driven:

To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.

For testing purposes.

For the pleasure of others without compensation.

May not be used for:

Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

Commercial purposes or to carry a load.
I don't have collector insurance on the car yet... I need to get that.

Registration here in Luxembourg is 26€ for vintage cars (over 30 years old).

That doesn't include any insurance.

If your car was originally licensed before 1974 you may have black plates with white letters on it. Those plates were discontinued in 1974 when they introduced the yellow plates with black letters that we still use today.

Insurance for every car is based on displacement. The more cui, the more you pay.

For classic cars they take that formula and divide it by two, so you pay exactly half of what it would cost if it were new.

Then insurances give you a driver rating based on how many if little accidents you had.

I am lucky and I have top rating which means I have 55% off on all my cars. Those 55% even count on the already reduced classic car insurance.

All that considered I pay about 600€ a year for the Mustang.

I could go for less but I like to keep glass and fire damage and theft insured as well as the protected driver package do that when I get hurt I am insured. That adds a few euros to the initial price but for me who drives this car almost daily it is quite worth it.

Greg that's why my Mustang is on club rego, under $200 for the year (just paid it last Thursday) but there are limits (sort of) on what you can and can't do, but there's also a lot of ways around it though. I already pay over a $1000 dollars for my TE 50 and just under $900 for my XR6 turbo ute for rego, so I don't really want to pay another high rego cost on another car I may drive once, maybe twice a month (I drive the TE 50 maybe that much) Also for everyone the insurance costs Greg spoke of in our rego costs is CTP which stands for, compulsory third party, which means if you're involved in an accident, that insurance covers any other persons injured in the accident, the driver of the car has go against the other drivers CTP as they're not included under their own CTP insurance. So on top of rego costs, then you have the joys of insuring your vehicles also, which being on my two other cars is around another $1000 each, plus the Mustang at just over $300. Just to think, they call this the lucky country.

So on top of rego costs, then you have the joys of insuring your vehicles also, which being on my two other cars is around another $1000 each, plus the Mustang at just over $300. Just to think, they call this the lucky country.
Ouch, sounds like you have to be lucky to be able to pay the bills.

Thank you to every one that gave me your feedback,

The news is not good for me i'm afraid.:(

I was hoping that more members from overseas countries would have responded, but that's all good, because what feedback you folks have given me so far, paints a pretty good picture as to what's going on with the rego scene in general.

The first thing i found interesting was the fact the different Governments from different states around the world dream up their own ideas as to what rules they use, and how much they end up levying their citizens for registration fees and charges. Your feedback shows a variety of charges, rules and fees from around the world.

In my case, i'm sorry that i did not give you a better explanation of fees i have to pay. I did not mention that my State Government, offers a cheaper rego fee if you join a Classic car club for example. However, you are then greatly restricted as to where you can drive your Mustang around your local area. Some people break these laws, but get fined heavily if caught.

Also, the compulsory third party insurance fee that is locked into the total rego cost, is an insurance that covers people only, not cars or property.

So my breakdown is - Rego fee $620. CTP Insurance fee $336. and Traffic Improvement fee $49. That's a total of $1006.00 Aus Dollars i have to pay out every year to keep my Mustang registered and on the road. I did not even mention that i had to pay an extra $1,500.00 Aus Stamp Duty, when i set up my new rego on the Mach 1 i just bought off Luke at Christmas time.

Thank God Luke had the car registered for just under a whole year when i bought it off him, otherwise, i would have had to hand over a total of $2,506.00 Aus to get the car registered and on the road.

So to finish off, thanks again for your input. It clearly shows me that my State Government are a bunch of greedy so and so's, and are are sticking it up the taxpayers where i live. The reality is i guess, is there is not much i can do about it, but move to another State or Country if it annoys me that much. It does however, take some fun out of owning one or more classic cars, as it makes the hobby more expensive and out of reach for a lot of people, especially the younger ones who are coming up through the ranks and are wanting to get into the classic car scene. They will be the ones carrying on the Mustang hobby when we're long dead and gone.

Greg.:-/

Big swing in this country too. If things are as they were when I left CA, in round numbers:

A new Vette in Illinois $101/year.

In California $1400 for the first year with a bit lower the next year.

In Virginia, the yearly tax is 5% of the current value of the vehicle, in addition to the registration fees. What's strange about this tax is that there is a strong incentive to keep old junkers that aren't worth much and probably pollute more than newer cars. Oh, I also forgot: there's a yearly inspection for safety and emissions that costs $45.

See...there's a good reason to own a 71-73 Mustang vs. the earlier years!

Victorian rego fee $270.

Queensland rego fee $620 ???

That's a pretty big discrepancy between two states in the same country!
Hi Brett,

Yeah what can i say? It is a big diff for one year's worth.:(

Like i said before, one's State Gov finds ways to stick it up you to increase their tax revenue pool. I recently sold an investment property where i live, and the capital gains tax bill, ended up me owing the Gov $66,000.00 Aus in taxes on the sale of the property.(that's based and calculated on how much profit you make on the sale of the property) But then again, Australia is known for being one of the highest taxed countries in the world! Directly and indirectly. And us dumb Aussies just keep on taking it all on the chin, and do nothing about it.That's my bitch for the day!;)

Greg.:mad:

You know, you Aussies could move to New Zealand...:p
The NZ government wouldn't know what to do, they're only used to people leaving there to go to Australia, not moving from Australia to NZ. I don't think they'd have any paperwork for that situation.

Victorian rego fee $270.

Not wrong considering QLD was the cheapest place to register a vehicle not that long ago. Then again, they've got to keep things cheaper down there so the rest of you Mexicans stay down there and don't come up here like the other half of the state already has, lol.

You know, you Aussies could move to New Zealand...:p
The NZ government wouldn't know what to do, they're only used to people leaving there to go to Australia, not moving from Australia to NZ. I don't think they'd have any paperwork for that situation.

Victorian rego fee $270.

Not wrong considering QLD was the cheapest place to register a vehicle not that long ago. Then again, they've got to keep things cheaper down there so the rest of you Mexicans stay down there and don't come up here like the other half of the state already has, lol.
He He He He! - I like it!rofl

Greggie Boy.:D

Big swing in this country too. If things are as they were when I left CA, in round numbers:

Hey Sic!,

What's with California? Is it the VIP gold dust State of America?:huh:

Greg.:)

Hey Sic!,

When I moved there I asked about why so many things cost more there. A local told me that California is like a very pretty girl who knows how bad you want her. It's going to cost you a lot if you're going to play.

Hey Sic!,

When I moved there I asked about why so many things cost more there. A local told me that California is like a very pretty girl who knows how bad you want her. It's going to cost you a lot if you're going to play.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So all that glitters ain't Gold!:p

Greg.:D

Latest posts

Back