My 72 HT 429/C6 project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So got my Pony put out to pasture... I got still some minor issues and adjustments and timing to do, but it's running without any leaks in the engine. Minor leak coming from power steering but nothing to worry about now.

@Fabrice

Done that already without start phase but I need to upload it to youtube.

In the video the BTC at 7-800rpm is set to 18 degrees and at 2-3000rpm BTC is 38 degrees. I still got some issues and adjustment to do with the carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so curious about the sound. Haven't heard a 429 for a long while and saw while busy on mine its not having the 13726548 fire order that i'm familiar with.

Also what kind of exhaust do you have? Headers or original intake? Lines type( Y, H, || ) / size tubing?

I got headers and I think they are self made (not 100% sure) but rest of the pipeline is. It's X-type and 2,5".

And some videos for you all :)

Hope you enjoy :)

Raw! That's music :)

Strangely no matter the firing order, you know its a mustang!

Are these headers in pieces? Mine are in 3 pieces and I know its gonna be a hell to place them while putting the engine in alone.

Needs be done half way down... are these going up the cross member? If you ever get under, if you could see any brand, (if not self made), I'd like very much to know if there are alternatives to the ones I have. I need to let mine sandblasted and coated. So if an alternative isn't too expensive to get here and easier to put on, I'd go for that path instead. Not to mention, I could cut the one still on the car (kuz, I haven't succeeded to get it loose yet)

I've installed for now the coil on intake near dist, bit out of options, I like where you placed it, far from heat.

Also looks like you have aftermarket valve covers, but I see you have an handy "turn/twist fill/breather" on cyl #5, if its also aftermarket where did you get it?

I like mushroom types breathers for #cyl4 but would prefer a twist/turn type like yours for maintenance. Somehow the grommets of these things always fail, either too hard or not keeping their position, and eventually leaking or cut in half if you open them too often.

If I may say something, one detail I would change is the fuel line. I'd bend a tube from the pump to intake instead of having it like this, so its safer and also not bloating the eye from this nice big bad block :)

All with all, its all nicely coming together! Well done!

I have to admit that the engine was already build and in place when I bought the car. Only things I have done are replacing altenator to 1-wire 100A and rewired almost everything.

I argee you on that fuel line it's annoying me also and it's always on the way when I was timing the engine. I'll try to get car ready and inspected before I turn my eyes on little things.

Here I got pics from underneath.

Sounds great and reminds me of my 460 Falcon many years ago. I remember driving it without exhaust for 10 miles to get the exhaust fitted and boy did it wake up a few sleepy travelers on their way to work! Revving a loud big block at 6000 rpm on the way to work brings back fond memories.

Also like your paint job and particularly like the non-stripe/blackout look, very clean and gives me an idea of how mine should turn out although mine will have chrome bumpers and 23 less cubes!

@OzCoupe72

I am not a fan of shining things and I like it simple as you said. :)

Nothing much done in the winter as I don't have heated garage and my friend car is also there, so no room to do anything.

But I got my back seat back from upholstery shop. Now they match front seats.

Finally she is ready :)

Last problem was fluctuating idle vacuum, so I had to open half of the motor and put it back together. No exact problem was found, only that my valve springs had too low spring pressure for my use (55PSI) so we changed them more stiff. But now she works like a charm, fun ride :)

Looks fantastic, well done

I had idle/vacuum problems also.

Changed the carby spacer which helped but the main issue was with the new Holley I needed to open the secondary transition slots a little

Need to remove the carby and adjust a small screw under the base, problem fixed however don't over adjust it.

Back