My 73.Mustang want Crank up/Cincinnati

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I really need some mechanical advice. I just purchased a 73 restored Mustang 351 Cleveland from an out of town dealer last week as a 52 birthday gift. It arrived from the tow deliverer with an Empty gas tank. I poured 5gal of regular in. It turns, but wouldn't ignite. I took the air filter off and sprayed just a small amount of starting fluid and it roared for 4-5 secs then idled off. After 2 more small.sprays it just makes cold starting sound. It appears theres fuel in the line but I'm afraid I could flood or damage something turning the ignition continually in frustration. Should I 1)Spray more and keep turning til it roars? Or 2)What am I doing incorrectly? It's just stuck in the garage and it's hard to find a reliable mobile mechanic. Any experienced advice would be appreciated
Thanks Brent

Attachments

• 20240106_180347.mp4
    18.2 MB
  • Screenshot_20240106_130606_Chrome_edit_1704748098701.jpg
    Screenshot_20240106_130606_Chrome_edit_1704748098701.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 0
Every car has a different starting procedure. Looking at the video, I don't see you pump the gas. Since it fires off of starting fluid, we know you have good spark. Carbureted cars need an initial shot of fuel to get things going, sometimes they'll need 2 or 3 pumps. There's also the question of if your choke is hooked up, functioning and adjusted properly. If it isn't, you'll need to work the throttle to keep the engine running. Video link below to a 25° cold start of my 71. It has no choke, so I need to feather the gas until it warms up a bit.

First thing I'd check is that you're getting fuel to the carburetor. Pop the air cleaner lid off, push the choke plate open and work the throttle a couple times. You should see fuel squirting into the venturis. If not, the carburetor bowl is either empty, or the accelerator pump isn't working. You can then fill the bowl through the vents to get enough fuel capacity to keep the engine running until the fuel pump picks up fuel and starts refilling the carb on it's own. Post a couple pics of your carburetor so we can see exactly what you're working with.

Back