Need a measurement please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
Guys,

I was hoping someone could help with a measurement. I need to add a spacer on top of my carb to allow a throttle sensor to fit with my Ram Air cleaner(left air cleaner up not carb). My concern is that I will have fitment issues with the seal/airbox hitting the plenum. What I was hoping to get is a measurement for a stock manifold and carb to the top of the head. Notice I have the bar where the air box rests on the carb.This way I can compare is to my Edelbroke intake/carb hieght. Please see picture.

The other thing is does anyone know how much play there is with in a stock car for with ram air to rise the carb up?

Thanks for any help.

-Jim

measure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help you with the measurement, I have a Shelby intake and don't have a Ram Air (wish I did). For years I've planned to install a 4R70W in my car, and collected a lot of information. With the following TPS installation you shouldn't have to raise your air cleaner. I found a well written posting several years ago at: http://forums.corral.net/forums/classic-mustangs-fords/293893-project-overdrive-4r70w-swap-into-1965-mustang-done-webpage-attached.html

The link to his article no longer works, so all I can do is give credit to Phil for these pictures. He was using a Baumann transmission controller that recommended using a 1986 Buick TPS. He got a throttle body and TPS at eBay for half of the cost of a new sensor. He then cut the throttle body down until there was just enough left to support the TPS:

TPS sensor-1.jpg

He used a throttle return spring to connect the TPS to the carburetor throttle lever. The little bracket on the spring was used to extend the throttle lever to get more movement on the TPS.

This is what it looked like installed at the rear of the Holley carb he used.

TPS sensor-2.jpg

The extension bracket is attached to the bottom of the carburetor throttle lever.

I copied all 66 pages of Phil's article into a Word document. If anyone thinks there is any benefit to it, I can post the entire article as a PDF.

302, 351W, or 351C?

-Kurt
Kurt,

Its a 351c H-code.

Thanks

I can't help you with the measurement, I have a Shelby intake and don't have a Ram Air (wish I did). For years I've planned to install a 4R70W in my car, and collected a lot of information. With the following TPS installation you shouldn't have to raise your air cleaner. I found a well written posting several years ago at: http://forums.corral.net/forums/classic-mustangs-fords/293893-project-overdrive-4r70w-swap-into-1965-mustang-done-webpage-attached.html

The link to his article no longer works, so all I can do is give credit to Phil for these pictures. He was using a Baumann transmission controller that recommended using a 1986 Buick TPS. He got a throttle body and TPS at eBay for half of the cost of a new sensor. He then cut the throttle body down until there was just enough left to support the TPS:

He used a throttle return spring to connect the TPS to the carburetor throttle lever. The little bracket on the spring was used to extend the throttle lever to get more movement on the TPS.

This is what it looked like installed at the rear of the Holley carb he used.

The extension bracket is attached to the bottom of the carburetor throttle lever.

I copied all 66 pages of Phil's article into a Word document. If anyone thinks there is any benefit to it, I can post the entire article as a PDF.
Don,

Thanks for the input.

I already have the TPS and want to see if i make it work first. its very compact for a Edelbrock carb.

TPS3_1.jpg

TPS3_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back