New member from the high plains of Wyoming 1970's Mustang fan!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did the link work? it's a 1972 Ford Mustang brochure for the Decor Group. Funny how the coupe has a young couple with a blonde hottie and the vert has the retired blue hairs, HA HA !

Yeah awesome link thanks! I love those old magazine adds, see this is why I joined this group, I knew people would have some good info. I have heard some other people at other mustang sites call these notchbacks, I am not defending it or anything I just thought it was kind of a fun descriptor.

hey, it's your car you can call it whatever you want. What engine do you have? The 72 coupe is a very fine car! I bet you would be surprised what that paint would look like with some effort. You can probably rent an ADJUSTABLE speed orbital buffer and get a packaged box of treatments to bring it back. Griots website has a ton of info on paint restoration. Their stuff is expensive though. The buffer pads are good quality. Any of the bigger names on the shelf is better than nothing. Mothers...maguires...just avoid the nufinish silicone stuff. I see you have a Cleveland 2v. Good engine. Responds to upgrades very well. Best of luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, it's your car you can call it whatever you want. What engine do you have? The 72 coupe is a very fine car! I bet you would be surprised what that paint would look like with some effort. You can probably rent an ADJUSTABLE speed orbital buffer and get a packaged box of treatments to bring it back. Griots website has a ton of info on paint restoration. Their stuff is expensive though. The buffer pads are good quality. Any of the bigger names on the shelf is better than nothing. Mothers...maguires...just avoid the nufinish silicone stuff. I see you have a Cleveland 2v. Good engine. Responds to upgrades very well. Best of luck with it.
Thanks! and thanks for the tips, I appreciate it and I will post some pics and updates as it goes.

This car was originally sold in Cheyenne Wyo than traded into a used dealership. A guy bought it off the lot and then garaged it and did some major work on the engine, he was unable to complete the job so a mechanic I know ended up buying it completed the engine rebuild and sold it to me. It is a solid running machine it is going to need some interior work and a paint job. I am trying to decide how I want to approach that I am thinking of restoring to as near original as I can go. Red paint on the exterior like it had when it was new and I am even thinking of trying to hook up the old stereo and 8-track inside. Any suggestions, warnings or tips from anyone out there? Also it appears to have a Mach 1 grille and I am trying to get an answer as to whether this a modification or if some of the notchback models in 72 had that style of radiator grille?
Trivia time! What was the name of the Ford dealer in Cheyenne, who originally sold your Mustang???

This car was originally sold in Cheyenne Wyo than traded into a used dealership. A guy bought it off the lot and then garaged it and did some major work on the engine, he was unable to complete the job so a mechanic I know ended up buying it completed the engine rebuild and sold it to me. It is a solid running machine it is going to need some interior work and a paint job. I am trying to decide how I want to approach that I am thinking of restoring to as near original as I can go. Red paint on the exterior like it had when it was new and I am even thinking of trying to hook up the old stereo and 8-track inside. Any suggestions, warnings or tips from anyone out there? Also it appears to have a Mach 1 grille and I am trying to get an answer as to whether this a modification or if some of the notchback models in 72 had that style of radiator grille?
Trivia time! What was the name of the Ford dealer in Cheyenne, who originally sold your Mustang???
Im guessing Ken Graff or Spradley Barr but now I want to know for sure so it looks like I have some detective work to do!

Im guessing Ken Graff or Spradley Barr but now I want to know for sure so it looks like I have some detective work to do!
The Ford dealer in Cheyenne at that time was "Walton Motor Company". It became "Fassett-Nickel Ford" in 1976 or 77, and then "Spradley-Barr Ford" in the early 2000's. Fun facts to know and tell!

photo.JPG

Good to know! I was going to see about a title report but you had it pegged. It would be kinda cool to have a badge like that to stick on the ol' Mustang. I need to get one fender badge as well as the deck lid script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back