New racing kart for my son for Christmas.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys just thought I would post up a couple pics of my sons new kart. he was way over due for a new chassis. His old chassis was 16 years old. He was still competitive on it but we wanted to make an upgrade for this next season. He was able to take 2nd in the overall points for the season last year. Hoping the new chassis will give him that little extra to get him over the hump. The new chassis is an 2014 Phantom Triton Elite. Very nice and adjustable chassis. Any how heres a couple pics for any of you guys that are into dirt kart racing.

2e4ae5v.jpg

4ie9f6.jpg

furjnk.jpg

vrg1uu.jpg

Good to see you have him in a kart. Me and my son raced for about 10 years was the best thing I ever did. He knew how quick you could get into trouble and how to get out when he started driving on the road. We only ran box stock Briggs. I was the one that got Briggs to start selling their cams uncut. I worked as engineering manager at American Yard Products, Inc. now Husqvarna in the 1980's. I knew the engineers at Briggs and called one up and asked if I could get some uncut 5 hp cams. He pulled me a half dozen off the line with bearings and gears cut but the cam profile had not been broached. Yes they broached the cam profile. I took to the guy that ground my cams and he went wild, lol. He was having to weld up to regrind and of course warping was always an issue. With the uncut cam we could grind the profile with a bigger base circle and shorten the lifter length reducing the weight giving more rpm before valve float. Just a little later Briggs started to sell them uncut.

I had unlimited supply of engines from scratch and dent employee sales $1.00 / hp so it cost $5.00 for a complete new engine. We never did blow an engine and just had two that we ran all those years. Did some special tricks that the WKA inspectors never did find, lol. He who cheats the most and gets by wins, lol. We only ran dirt asphalt karting was too expensive for tires.

Going to hang the old racing kart from the ceiling in new garage for decoration. I had them powder coat frame and engine cover at the lawn equipment plant using the Poulan green so it was bright.

David,

We ran briggs flatheads first 2 years. Then when the class dwindled down we switched to clone motors this year.

BK,

The powerwheels was for my youngest son. LOL! He is 3. My oldest son has been racing karts since he was 6. He is now 9.

They both have been gear heads since birth!! They hang out with me in the garage almost daily!

Jim,

It was my wife's idea to bring it in for Christmas. I wanted t o leave it in the garage. Damn thing is heavy bringing in through the French doors! Its in the basement now. Wife only let in it the house for a day lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice gift for him.... mine is 5 and upcoming. How did you start him? Did you buy a used cart first for him to try?

1971 M-code Mach 1
Yeah we bought a cheap kart (couple hundred bucks) just to get him started. All they need first year is to get some seat time and experience. If you son is 4-6 most tracks require them to run what's called a kid kart. It's a straight rail small kart. If he is 6-7 years old he can run full size kart that he can grow into. The adults run same size chassis. The pedals and controls are just moved. If I were you I would visit a local dirt kart track and talk to some guys there. Go in the pit and look around. Most people are more than willing to lend advice and help. His first kart was a 1997 phantom, then we got him a 2000 shadow. Now we are getting a nicer chassis in the 2014 phantom triton. Let me know if you have any other questions. The more kids we can get racing the better!!! I know I have a blast with him and can't wait for the youngest to be ready!! Here's his first kart and his 2nd kart.

25r2qaf.jpg

2qwkfm8.jpg

That's really cool. I got in trouble with my wife for supping up my daughter's Power Wheels. It flies now and she absolutely loves it. She keeps asking when she can get a faster one.

Back