New with a 72 Fastback !

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8789

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, checking in from Baltimore, MD.

My father-in-law, who's not much for the Internet, gifted my husband a '72 Fastback. Husband wants to sell and thinks he can easily get $12K for it. This thing is gorgeous and I'm trying to convince my him to hold onto it, despite not having garage space to store it after our recent move.

Pop picked this up at Carlisle about 10 years ago. It's the third in the family. This one has a louvered rear window, big block 390 engine bored 30 over with mild racing cam and a Fordomatic transmission, power steering, front disc brakes and custom interior. It growls like a car should and is fun to cruise around in on sunny days. Beyond this, my husband and I really know very little about this car.

Fortunately, I have some Mustang enthusiasts in my family (hey, Uncle Randy!) who suggested I reach out to this community to learn more about the car. What can you guys tell me about it? Hoping that I can demonstrate that it will appreciate in value, that it's worth holding onto for the chance of a legacy for the next generation and that the day someone comes to take it away on a trailer will be tough...

Can you help me? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9931.JPG
    IMG_9931.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9953.JPG
    IMG_9953.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9952.JPG
    IMG_9952.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9951.JPG
    IMG_9951.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9950.JPG
    IMG_9950.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9949.JPG
    IMG_9949.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9948.JPG
    IMG_9948.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9947.JPG
    IMG_9947.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9944.JPG
    IMG_9944.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9942.JPG
    IMG_9942.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9938.JPG
    IMG_9938.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9937.JPG
    IMG_9937.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9935.JPG
    IMG_9935.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9934.JPG
    IMG_9934.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9933.JPG
    IMG_9933.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9932.JPG
    IMG_9932.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9930.JPG
    IMG_9930.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum! Nice fastback, hopefully you can convince your husband to keep it, it looks like it would be a good cruiser. As far as value, these old cars almost always continue to appreciate in value. They are going to become more rare as time goes by, they aren't making any more of them. I would feel comfortable that the car is going to be worth more in ten years that it is today. Besides that his father gifted it to him and maybe you two can pass it on to your child someday and create the legacy you refer to.

Last edited:
What you've got there, is a "Sportsroof", ( Ford's name for these years of fastback ). The engine, which is from the "FE" family of Ford engines, has been swapped in, as I'm pretty sure Ford didn't offer that engine in '71 through'73 Mustangs, although personally, I like it, there's potential there. Lots of personal modifications have been done to the car. Being a car guy, I think I'd keep it. Your Husband is a poo-butt to sell it....consider re-marrying...these cars don't just come along everyday. It's been some time since I've seen Astro-Supreme wheels on a Mustang as well!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
The car has a lot of potential, so yes, don't be in a rush to sell it, tell your husband.
Personally, i might want to de-customize some of it, back more to original, but other than that, keep it and enjoy it on days beginning with "S", Saturday, Sunday or Sunny!

so do u know the condition of the floors ??? body rust etc ??? i'd be interested and your not that far away.
well that was fast... on FB says SOLD.

Last edited:
Welcome from Ohio. As all of the above, I say he should keep it. It is one of those things that if he did sell it, he would regret doing so at a later date. If he is set on selling it,12k is not out of the question. The only downside is you buyer's market made be smaller because of all the mods made.

Hi! I'm new here, checking in from Baltimore, MD.

My father-in-law, who's not much for the Internet, gifted my husband a '72 Fastback. Husband wants to sell and thinks he can easily get $12K for it. This thing is gorgeous and I'm trying to convince my him to hold onto it, despite not having garage space to store it after our recent move.

Pop picked this up at Carlisle about 10 years ago. It's the third in the family. This one has a louvered rear window, big block 390 engine bored 30 over with mild racing cam and a Fordomatic transmission, power steering, front disc brakes and custom interior. It growls like a car should and is fun to cruise around in on sunny days. Beyond this, my husband and I really know very little about this car.

Fortunately, I have some Mustang enthusiasts in my family (hey, Uncle Randy!) who suggested I reach out to this community to learn more about the car. What can you guys tell me about it? Hoping that I can demonstrate that it will appreciate in value, that it's worth holding onto for the chance of a legacy for the next generation and that the day someone comes to take it away on a trailer will be tough...

Can you help me? Thanks!
The price is fair, is it still for sale? I see it's a Northern vehicle, has anybody noted the amount of rust it has especially on the floors.

Welcome from Oregon. Even though it's been modified, I would not sell it. These cars (71-73) were made a little bigger than the prior models to accept the bigger engines that were thought to come, but the government killed that idea with their regulations. I fell in love with Mustangs as a kid and have strived to own one, but was always out of reach for one reason or another until just recently. If I were in your situation, I'd buy temporary car shelter or rent a storage unit or cut a hole in the side of my house, but I wouldn't get rid of it.

Short version, Keep It!

Longer Version:
I echo the suggestions that you keep this treasure on wheels. If you decide to sell it please let the folks in this forum know first. I bet you find a buyer quickly. As for me, our corral is full with 4 pony/muscle/sports cars already (including two 1973 Mustangs). Otherwise this 1972 Mustang would be on my radar.

An aside, the 390 FE v-8 was not available in the 71-73 Mustangs from the factory. Someone definitely swapped it in, which is not a bad thing. Some folks will tell you the 390 was a dog compared to its larger FE cousin, the 428CobraJet engine. Well, the 428 FE v-8 is more powerful than the 390. But, I have driven those earlier 1969 Mustangs, and even a 66 LTD, with 390 4v engines, and I can tell you they are plenty quick - especially when a few engine enhancements are made. That said, many of those yesteryear-near-super-car pony cars that were fast in their day can get smeared by a lot of pure stock modern sedans due to electronically controlled fuel and ignition systems. So, despite how ferocious (and nice) looking and sounding the Mustang is, I would go picking on newer cars. Enjoy and appreciate it for what it is, a wonderful throwback to a bygone era, the Golden Age of Muscle/Pony cars.

Welcome from Rhode Island. The 390 FE was not an option in 71-73 Mustangs. I am pretty sure the 390 FE family could only be had in trucks by that point. It is still cool and unique. Best of all it is a Ford engine in a Ford. If it had a small block Chevy I would feel different.

Ron

Keep it! These cars are gaining in value, but nothing compares to driving one of these classics. Admittedly, I'm partials to black fastbacks.

Attachments

• 1971Mach1.jpg
    1971Mach1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
Back