New RCCI tach conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Got my Rocketman warning light tach conversion installed today. It was very simple and looks factory. 3 wire hook up couldn't be easier.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. First thing my wife did Christmas morning was drop the digital camera on the floor and smash it into a thousand pieces.:-/

Many thanks to Bob (TheRktmn) who also helped me out of a jam with a fuel gauge. It was a pleasure doing business with him. I am going to try his headlight relay kit next.

IMG00039-20130120-0850.jpg

IMG00040-20130120-0851.jpg

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-tach-all

Sah-WEET!!! Looks Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

As soon as I can get my sh!t together, I'm going to send him my 'Clock' cluster and get one of his cool tachs swapped in.

Beautiful... absolutely, gorgeous.

That is pretty slick looking! I recently acquired a tach setup that ended up having a messed up printed circuit. I have been debating repairing it as I soon found out I would need like two harnesses, a hard to find junction block, and a three gauge cluster that replaces my center bezel.... with this setup you have, what else will I need to make sure it functions correctly?

As I've discovered, the Tach Cluster will not plug into a Non-Tach cluster car (mine has the clock instead of the indicator lights, but still the same harness connector).

In discussing options with Bob (TheRktmn) from RCCI, you swap in one of his tach-modified indicator gauges (send him the old one for core or conversion), and wire-in the tach as if it were an aftermarket tach (which he provides really good instructions for that, too). Then put the instrument cluster back into the car as you would if you'd just changed out the dash light bulbs or something - it's still essentially a stock cluster, but with a new tach feature that takes up the dead space in the indicator gauge, and runs independently of the cluster itself. That means, you don't have to swap out the non-tach cluster wiring harness for a tach cluster wiring harness, or come up with some wild, whacked-out klooge-job wiring to make the tach cluster work with your original harness.

As you can see, it looks pretty damn close to the factory tach (even though there's no high beam indicator - which is found on the non-tach speedo anyway). Plus, you have the benefit of the original 'idiot lights' still working (LOL). Trust me, after I scored a tach cluster, I've done some research and I'm fully convinced this is the way to go if you want a tach, want to keep the stock appearance (by not hanging a big ol' tach somewhere off the steering column or dashboard), and don't want to take on a re-wiring project you might or might not be ready for (either way, it's a PITA).

Not to mention, it's WAY cheaper than some of the complete replacement aftermarket solutions out there - which are VERY cool and the guys are happy with them... just too expensive for my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice! When I am finally able to start taking this thing apart(its my daily driver right now) I think thus is the way I will go!

Back