Tach Gauge Conversion - AWESOME!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
-Former 70 & 72 Mustang coupes owner.
-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, dual plane high rise intake, long tube headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, mini-starter
-70 Mach 1, 351W, FMX
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I know there is a thread or two on this already (hence how I learned about it) but I really had to comment.

I recently installed the RCCI Rocketman's Idiot Gauge to Tachometer Conversion. WOW. I REALLY should have done this much sooner. I can't say enough great things about it. WOW.

There is a link on how to remove the cluster on the RCCI webpage and it took 15 mins to pull it out. I sent Bob my cluster and he recalibrated and painted the other needles as well and sent it back very promptly.

PROs:

No need to hack up gauge cluster wiring

No need to find a donor gauge cluster tach

Gauge works perfectly, no needle bouncing (I run Pertronix Ignitor III)

Cheaper than alternatives

No need to mount seperate tach

Retains Idiot Lights

Tach spot on with my Timing light

Modern electronics

Super easy to wire (3-Wires: I used the same from my previous tach)

CONs: None.

I got the M7123S: 1971-1973 Ford Mustang 8000 RPM on Rocketman Bob's Site: http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php

Seriously...this is incredible. I don't know why I waited so long. Hell, I even had a seperate Tach cluster and was researching how to chop up and rewire it.

-KR

Gauge Cluster Conversion.jpg

That is really cool. I was just browsing and wonder if he could do the conversion with the white face gauges. Not on my top priority list but this is looks like a easy way to convert over if you don't want to hack up a bunch of wires.

That is really cool. I was just browsing and wonder if he could do the conversion with the white face gauges. Not on my top priority list but this is looks like a easy way to convert over if you don't want to hack up a bunch of wires.
Matrixx, I asked Bob and he tried but it didn't work out. Rocketman Bob can do a conversion to white face gauges on an already existing stock gauge cluster with Tach, but the white face labels do not fit over the idiot lights with tach properly. You lose functionality of the idiot lights and you see the outline of the high beams. Here's the pic Bob sent me when he tried.

Whiteface.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As an early adopter to the Rocketman Tach I also reckon this is one of the best value items to add to the car. Strangely though, after about 4 months from installation the Tacho needle stopped dropping below about 1100 RPM both when the engine is running or not running. I probably should pull it out one day to see if I can spot what's wrong with it, but it still works faultlessly at all ranges above 1100RPM so I'm not really concerned by the small range of malfunction...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaugh!!! I still need to box my stuff up and send it to him - damn the 'real life' stuff getting in the way all the time.

I don't like this system, as it takes business away from me....

Randy, what if we don't have factory tachs?
I guess this is the only route to go without mounting a tach on the steering wheel.

In reality, the conversion seems to be an elegant solution.

Back