New to the Board and 1st 71-73 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome from Olympia Washington.

If the only place you've noticed rust is in the trunk you've got a pretty solid project car. Since your car is primered and your not sure where you want to go with it you might want to order a Marti Report to find out it's original color and more about the car. Compared to the money and time you'll be putting in to restoring it, the Marti Report is a dirt cheap investment. You can get a delux report for $40.00.

http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

The trunk is the main rust area. a few smaller areas and I havnt taken off the vinyl top, but I can see a few bumps under that. I will try to get some pictures this week to post as the Start of the project. The good news is it does run pretty good. I will know more when the vinyl is removed and the seats and carpet is out. I think the last owner bought the car in pretty good 50% restored and then left it in his yard to rust for a number of years.

Mike

RacerX, it does look like I will be ordering a 73 tail light panel, I am going thru the catalogs looking for who has the best deals now between NPA, MACS and CJ Pony Express. Unless board members can point me to better places. I also have a year one and mustang unlimited catalog around here somewhere as well.

I'm hoping to stop and get a few pics tonight on the way to the Mariners game tonight.

I'm also trying to decide between sand blasting and or just letting the body shop strip down the car....

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
We have several sponsors for our site. Take a look at the home page toward the bottom of the forums. Don at OMS is a great guy to talk to about all parts related to 71 - 73 Mustangs.

Thank you for all the Welcomes. I have a question for the group. I'm getting ready to order my Marti report, how long does it take to receive?

Mike

also a couple have asked about my username. Several reasons I use CaptJackD. First as the other member stated, I am retired navy, and second, I like pirates and have dressed up on more than a few occasions as a Pirate for Holloween and finally the D stands for Daniels.. Just a fun Twist. I have indulged a time or two. So CaptJackDaniels....

Mike

Hey Mike. The Marti report only take a few days. I think you can order an online version and print it out immediately.

I spent 10 years in the Navy, and we have quite a few former swabbies as members. I was a Corpsman - what rating were you?

Thanks and 73VertProject I was a Radioman at the beginning of my career in 1980 and when I retired 2001 My rate was becoming what is Information Technologist (IT).

Hyena429 thanks and I have been in Washington since 93 and have always wanted to visit the Eastern side of the state. Maybe my project 73 coupe will be finished by spring and I'll be able to drive over!...

I will upload some pics of the project coup tonight!.

Mike

Specs on my car, Pre-Marti Report, Not rare, but she is all mine.

VIN = 3F01F111613

Dearborn, hard top, 302 2v, unit 11163

body = 65D hard top coupe

Color = 5M Medium Copper Metalic

Trim = AA Black Vinyl - Std interior

Born = 8/72

DSO = 74 Seattle WA

Axel = 3, 2.79.1 Conventional

Trans = W, C4 Automatic

Current plans= Tackle the Body/trunk rust. remove vinyl top. clean inside out, tuneup. Pain back to factory Med Copper Met, NASA hood, Black stripe package. trunk Spoiler, tint windows. Magnum wheel/tire package, replace steering wheel. Improve on the engine. Replace suspension, brakes. More to follow.

Pics once I figure out how to get them uploaded.

Mike

Here is my project 73 coupe.

73MustangCoup1_zps95e5d508.jpg

73MustangCoupEngine_zps94d40b36.jpg

Can anyone identify this holly carb from the pic. I also still need to check if this is the original engine or possibly a 289.

2012-10-03_17-54-06_72_zps82504ca5.jpg

Close up of the Holly carb.

Mike

More research shows it to be part number #0-80457s or Holley 4160. 600cfm. Thanks i'll move further discussions to 71-73 mustang talk..

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back