New to the Mustang world

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe driver not a show car
Hi, I’m new to the Mustang world. I did have a 75 Ghia back yrs ago when I was in my teens and actually loved the old car. Now I have a recently purchased a 1971 mustang 2 dr coupe, I’m not familiar with the different types and the one I’ve bought is in pretty bad shape but I plan to get it on the road as a driver. I always liked this body style so that’s why I went with this one versus a 60’s style. It was cheap so I wasn’t expecting much but have a long way to go. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1721.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Howdy from Phoenix! You've stumbled on a great place to learn and ask questions. There are a few slight differences between the 71/72 and the 73 but for the most part everything is interchangeable.

Welcome from So Cal. From the photo, it looks like it’s missing the engine. What’s the story on the purchase? Interior pics please.
I bought it off marketplace, the guy was useing it for a race car and blew the engine. There are no seats in it besides a racing seat for the driver so I’m looking for some online. Seems there’s not many out there and they are in bad shape if you do find them. The dash and door panels and carpet is in the car but the steering column is a mess so I’ll have to find one of those also. He said it has 4:11 gears with locker in rear. There’s bracing that’s been welded underneath that looks like it could have been done better. That’s about all I know about it.. I’ll post more pics as I go along I’m sure it’s going to be a long expensive task to get it road worthy. Thanks

Howdy from Phoenix! You've stumbled on a great place to learn and ask questions. There are a few slight differences between the 71/72 and the 73 but for the most part everything is interchangeable.
I see that just in the few days of reading here, it’s kinda confusing trying to order the parts that are missing. Just hope I’m not throwing money out the window by getting things that won’t fit.

I see that just in the few days of reading here, it’s kinda confusing trying to order the parts that are missing. Just hope I’m not throwing money out the window by getting things that won’t fit.
Post pics of the interior and under hood. The folks on here can help with identifying what is missing and where to focus dollars. And many, like myself have extra used parts.

The few 'big money' or 'just won't' work items include (from the top of my head):
Front fenders
Front valence
Front bumper
The grill is different
Of course wiring harnesses and such
The rear bumper is different too.
Engine motor mounts, both the mounts and the seats are unique to the 73 BUT you can use 71/72 if you swap both parts

Floor pans might be different.

Most of the major 'Mustang' parts houses will separate the 73 only parts.

Most of the interior parts are interchangeable. The hood, door, trunk lid too.

Post pics of the interior and under hood. The folks on here can help with identifying what is missing and where to focus dollars. And many, like myself have extra used parts.
Ok thanks. I’ll get some pics up I appreciate it. My main thing right now is probably the steering column (it’s broken) and the rear seat. I’m having trouble finding a decent one of either of those and also if I do see one that is even worn out they are way to high priced.

Ok thanks. I’ll get some pics up I appreciate it. My main thing right now is probably the steering column (it’s broken) and the rear seat. I’m having trouble finding a decent one of either of those and also if I do see one that is even worn out they are way to high priced.
Check with @Bill Perkins or Mike @Motorcity Mustang for those parts.

Back