New York Registration- failure to renew for 10 yrs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code

Hey New Yorkers, your help is needed. Granson is looking to buy a car licensed in New York but last licensed 10 years ago. supposedly not operationg since. Besides all the usual sitting car questions, are there problems when you go to buy/sell such a vehicle. Help:D

Since no one has responded yet from NY state, I thought I'd chime in my 2 cents.

Contact a tag agent near the area where the car is located. Either through online search or contact a car dealer in the same area. Ask for the dealer's title clerk. They can point you to a vehicle tag agent. The tag agents know all the tricks and tips to get clean titles transferred.

I've heard too many horror stories contacting other state's DMV's so I'd save that as the last resort.

Good luck.

Ray

Hey New Yorkers, your help is needed. Granson is looking to buy a car licensed in New York but last licensed 10 years ago. supposedly not operationg since. Besides all the usual sitting car questions, are there problems when you go to buy/sell such a vehicle. Help:D
As a former New Yorker who has bought many cars out of N.Y.state heres the deal.. It depends on the year of car..

I'm not sure what year N.Y. started with titles but as an example My 71 Camaro was purchased out of N.Y. state in 2009..The car had sat also for close to 10 years with out being registered..The seller had the last reregistration which is what is used to transfer title..They didn't issue titles in 71...On the back of the reggie is a spot to transfer the car to a new owner..All they had to do was sign it...& provide a bill of sale..So it doesn't matter how long a car sits unregistered..It all goes by the year of the car..If a title was issued then thats what you need..If only a reggie was issued then thats what you need..

I just looked & NY didn't issue titles for cars older than 1973

Last edited by a moderator:
THE STATE OF NEW YORK DID NOT START OFFERING TITLES TILL 1972 SO CARS BEFORE THAT YEAR HAVE A TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION. IF YOU ALLOW ME TO KNOW A LITTLE MORE OF THE SITUATION AT HAND I CAN ASSIST YOU. I DO LIVE IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK.

As a former New Yorker who has bought many cars out of N.Y.state heres the deal.. It depends on the year of car..

I'm not sure what year N.Y. started with titles but as an example My 71 Camaro was purchased out of N.Y. state in 2009..The car had sat also for close to 10 years with out being registered..The seller had the last reregistration which is what is used to transfer title..They didn't issue titles in 71...On the back of the reggie is a spot to transfer the car to a new owner..All they had to do was sign it...& provide a bill of sale..So it doesn't matter how long a car sits unregistered..It all goes by the year of the car..If a title was issued then thats what you need..If only a reggie was issued then thats what you need..

I just looked & NY didn't issue titles for cars older than 1973
A transferable registration is issued for a 1972 or older motor vehicle, or a 1986 or older motorboat. The transferable portion proves ownership, and is used to sell or give ownership to another person. The registration portion allows the vehicle to be operated on a public road, or a motorboat on a public waterway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back