oil cap problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
im having a problem putting my oil caps/ pvc on my 351c. im running aftermarket covers and they appear to be constructed in the same way as stock to accept twist oon caps. I put my stock oil cap/ breather on and the cap is real sloppy and wobbly. is there some sort of gasket supposed to be on the bottom of the oil cap? or is this sloppiness expected. I have them twisted all the way on

yes there is a paper or cork or rubber Disc that goes under the cap above where the tabs stick out that lock it into the valve cover.

they do fall off or dry rot. i had a breather that i wasn't using and nicked the gasket from that to put on my OEM cap.

Any idea where I could get one? And how thick are they? Thanks for the reply

about 1-2mm thick, you could cut your own using cork and a compass.

I don't think they sell just the gasket on the reproduction market, you would have to buy a cap and then take the gasket off it. there is a 1974 version on ebay but i don't know if the caps are the same size.

you can measure the diameter and then the center and cut one out.

you can get cork or other gasket material off amazon.

I've made them out of old inner tube pieces before. X-acto knife and scissors...

Since you are running stock oil filler caps, they should have some sort of gasket. Originally they came with a rubberized or a fiber gskt. Later on in production and the service replacement caps started using cork. Ford part # for the cork gskt is D94Y,6789,B. Not sure if Ford is still offering it, but a lot of dealers are still showing stock. Not sure what part of PA you're in but I found 4 dealers showing some of those gskts in stock.

Feussner Ford

Freeland, Pa (shows 2) 570-636-3920

Rottet Motors Inc

Tamaqua, Pa (shows 5) 570-668-2130

Phil Godfrey Ford

Greenville, Pa (shows2) 724-588-1500

Manderbach Ford

Temple, Pa (shows 6) 610-929-3659

Dealers normally update their inventory daily so this info should be fairly accurate. I know a lot of people don't like to call a dealer for anything. (Bad reputations a lot of Dealers worked hard at to deserve). If these dealers don't have them, have your local dealer to run a locater. If they don't mind making money they shouldn't mind helping you. Hope this helps!

Back