Oil dipstick o-ring or seal?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your dipstick original? Is there a For p# on it? Mine is a DOAE-6750-A. Mine is pretty secure in the tube and has never popped out.
I will look at it for a p/n. On track the dipstick did not pop out, it just spewed oil. When you are coming down the hill at 120mph and hit the brakes hard a lot of oil gets pushed forward and most likely up the dipstick tube. My Accusump light even came on a couple of those times meaning that the oil pump would have picked some air so I am glad the Accusump can inject some more oil as needed.

I will look at it for a p/n. On track the dipstick did not pop out, it just spewed oil. When you are coming down the hill at 120mph and hit the brakes hard a lot of oil gets pushed forward and most likely up the dipstick tube. My Accusump light even came on a couple of those times meaning that the oil pump would have picked some air so I am glad the Accusump can inject some more oil as needed.
I think driving that hard you need a fancy sealed locking dipstick. I do think it is awesome that you are tracking your car. It sounds like a lot of fun and I am jealous. I don't think I have ever written "dipstick" this many times in my life. Lol.

Ron

oh well.... there are a lot of ways to twist car conversations.... part of the fun!
Anyhow, I found an o-ring that fits perfectly between the tube and dipstick. This is one of those that come with the A/C kit and they are already oil resistant. It pushes the dipstick about 1/8" up so the readings are slightly off but not a big deal. I saw in other forums and some use springs to keep the dipstick in.

In any case, will any of you know if the dipstick tube of the Windsor is the same diameter than the Cleveland?
The FPP 302-400 dipstick looks cool and it appears to have a seal (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-302-400). I could use this dipstick and if the marks don't coincide I can always redo them. So as long as the dipstick tube is the same diameter it should work.

I am happy to report that Scott Drake's dipstick D0ZZ-6750-K fits very well. It locks in place better and has some sort of seal. It is also a bit wider, which makes it fit tighter. I didn't replace my stock tube, but just the dipstick. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is chromed, but they don't offer a painted version. I will paint it at some point down the road. The oil level markers are close, the SD showing a narrower range with the FULL line a bit lower. In any case, I typically use one extra quarter as it has been documented in many other posts. This extra quarter matches what my Kevco pan instructions called for. That said, I already had an additional mark on my stock dipstick that I used as a reference so I did the same with the SD dipstick.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDK-D0ZZ-6750-K

Back