OK - what is this for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
$(KGrHqUOKjcE1+Q-)FUuBNjfpTg6Zg~~_12.JPG

Ford P/N: D1ZB-15A669-AB

Found it in my wad of wiring harness I removed from my '71. Mine didn't come with factory A/C, but has a rear window defogger/defroster. I can't for the life of me find anything to plug the 3-connector socket into either under the hood or anywhere on the dashboard harness. It looks like the other end either hooks up to one of the posts on the alternator or maybe the junction block beside the voltage regulator on the battery apron.

Just checking to see if it's something I'm missing and/or needing before I toss it into the box of Marks73's wiring harness I still haven't sent to him. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the accessory high current supply harness. Items that require high current like rear window defogger, power windows, power convertible top. Each accessory occupies 1 socket on the 3 plug end. That way each item which is usually intermittent use can have the current it needs.

I have a Mach I with power windows that has the harness and also a convertible with power top that also has it.

Also seat back release if I recall correctly. Does your car have the automatic seat back release system?

$(KGrHqUOKjcE1+Q-)FUuBNjfpTg6Zg~~_12.JPG

Ford P/N: D1ZB-15A669-AB

Found it in my wad of wiring harness I removed from my '71. Mine didn't come with factory A/C, but has a rear window defogger/defroster. I can't for the life of me find anything to plug the 3-connector socket into either under the hood or anywhere on the dashboard harness. It looks like the other end either hooks up to one of the posts on the alternator or maybe the junction block beside the voltage regulator on the battery apron.

Just checking to see if it's something I'm missing and/or needing before I toss it into the box of Marks73's wiring harness I still haven't sent to him. ;)
That is needed for the rear window defogger. I'm working on a 72 version and the defogger subharness plugs into that accessory power harness.

OK - so "yes" I have a rear window defogger/defroster (whatever), but some of the heater lines are less than perfect - so I'm guessing I really no longer have a 'functional' rear window defogger/defroster (whatever). The three times annually I "might" actually need it are not worth trying to restore the heater lines and hassle with all of that.

SO!

Since I'm planning on adding aftermarket power windows (Electric Life kit), a monster stereo amp or two, and have a Classic Auto Air A/C, do I still need this? Or, can I just run a dedicated line from the alternator junction (battery apron, near the voltage regulator) to an add-on small 'modern' fuse block and tap power to those devices through it?

It's times like this I wish Painless Wiring's kits were actually as 'painless' as they claim.

Also seat back release if I recall correctly. Does your car have the automatic seat back release system?
I don't think so. I never found any kind of wiring that connected up to anything under the seats. Although - I actually DID repair the automatic seat latch relay I found on the relay panel today. I totally disassembled it, re-soldered everything, and reassembled it, and THEN looked up what it actually was in the Yellow Electrical Assembly manual - Pffft! Yeah, like I really care about automatic seat back releases either... nobody's ever going to ride in the back, anyway (not after I relocated the seat platforms back about 2 inches when I replaced the floor pans). rofl

Back