SWAPMEET! Got lucky....maybe.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detritusmaximus

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande #1 looong time ago
1970 Sportsroof #2 almost as long
1971 Sportsroof M-code #3 needs money
2008 GT #4 where the money went
Went to a swapmeet today. Wasn't there half an hour and spotted a couple cleveland cylinder heads. The one I could see was open chamber, but you have to look anyway, right? Sure enough it's an open chamber 4v D3 head. Spun the other one around and it's also a 4v...closed chamber. D1AE GA. Look it over and both look decent with nothing broken, no chamber damage, not crusty like a boat anchor. I have one 4v CC thst needs a mate and just can't bring myself to spend a couple/few hundred bucks on a 2nd head that isn't guaranteed to not have cracks. Braced myself for the inevitable disappointment and asked how much for the closed chamber head.

"You want just the one?"
"Yep."
"$100."
....a few seconds for that to sink in.
Then he says, "$150 for both and the valve covers are included."
...brain is still slow at 10am....look over the heads some more.
"Let me think about that for a bit." And I go off to peruse some other vendors.
A few minutes later I decide it's cheap enough to take a gamble, so I go back. Look the heads over again. Twice.
"Will you do $125? They do tend to crack and it's always a gamble."

"Yeah, okay.

So, maybe, just maybe, I have a second 4v CC head. And a good open chamber 4v to sell or something.

Or I have two new boat anchors for a boat I do not have.

I did sell a couple of torque converter cores (a 700R4/4L60 and two Opel TH180s) to a local rebuilder this afternoon for $60.

So at the end of the day, I am out $65 and got rid of stuff I nearly left at the end of the driveway.

20240505_180739.jpg

20240505_180748.jpg

Oh, and then I ran into CWalker on the way to the van. He said he thought about buying the heads when the guy told him $100.

But, he seemed happy with a transmission and rear gear set he bought from someone else. Something about he had some space in his garage to fill and the heads weren't big enough.

I suspect most of his joy was that I helped lift the trans into his truck, but I could be wrong.

Hit our local swap this morning, picked up a Holley 4180 from an '83 Mustang GT. Was looking for one from an auto, but this was the only one to be found.

My buddy ended up picking up a bunch of parts for his dad's '51 Ford. Sometimes, you just never know what you'll find...

Went to a swapmeet today. Wasn't there half an hour and spotted a couple cleveland cylinder heads. The one I could see was open chamber, but you have to look anyway, right? Sure enough it's an open chamber 4v D3 head. Spun the other one around and it's also a 4v...closed chamber. D1AE GA. Look it over and both look decent with nothing broken, no chamber damage, not crusty like a boat anchor. I have one 4v CC thst needs a mate and just can't bring myself to spend a couple/few hundred bucks on a 2nd head that isn't guaranteed to not have cracks. Braced myself for the inevitable disappointment and asked how much for the closed chamber head.

"You want just the one?"
"Yep."
"$100."
....a few seconds for that to sink in.
Then he says, "$150 for both and the valve covers are included."
...brain is still slow at 10am....look over the heads some more.
"Let me think about that for a bit." And I go off to peruse some other vendors.
A few minutes later I decide it's cheap enough to take a gamble, so I go back. Look the heads over again. Twice.
"Will you do $125? They do tend to crack and it's always a gamble."

"Yeah, okay.

So, maybe, just maybe, I have a second 4v CC head. And a good open chamber 4v to sell or something.

Or I have two new boat anchors for a boat I do not have.

I did sell a couple of torque converter cores (a 700R4/4L60 and two Opel TH180s) to a local rebuilder this afternoon for $60.

So at the end of the day, I am out $65 and got rid of stuff I nearly left at the end of the driveway.

View attachment 88395

View attachment 88396
Good score! Funny, I have one of each of same casting # for sale right now on craigslist. I'm looking for one D0AE-N head, if you know of one.

I've got great news, today! I'm the proud poppa of one bouncing baby boat anchor! Fortunately, that is the 73 open chamber head. So far, the closed chamber head does not have any cracks. The shop is going to clean more rusty crusty off and double check.

Good score! Funny, I have one of each of same casting # for sale right now on craigslist. I'm looking for one D0AE-N head, if you know of one.
No idea on the D0AE-N heads. The guy I got my first pair of CC heads from had a couple of D0AEs, but they were ported and pricey. Not what I was looking for. I'm sure they are gone now, it's been a couple years.

Back