Original AM/FM radio repair?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, I can convince my better half that I miss my cassettes and I should buy a driver '71-3... Better wait until this car is done.
VERY GOOD IDEA. ::thumb::

I think you just added a few (good) years to your life Ken!

Glad to see the many sacrifices to restore that car. It will be a beaut!!!

Ray

Got my original to the car and now refurbished am/fm stereo radio back from the repair shop (Alabama) today. $255.00 + $71.00 shipping

I decided to pop a cover to see what they did. I know that they had to replace the power supply and a few capacitors to get it working. I was not thrilled with the fact that during the refurbishment, none of the moving parts had been re-lubricated in any manner during the repair.

There are a lot of moving parts at the front of this unit and they need lubrication, given that the radio has not been serviced previously. I spent the necessary time to lube everything I could reach...

Happy to have the original radio back in my restoration. I even hooked up the original factory supplied door speakers and they work great... 1971 all over again.

Last edited:
Got my original to the car and now refurbished am/fm stereo radio back from the repair shop (Alabama) today. $255.00 + $71.00 shipping

I decided to pop a cover to see what they did. I know that they had to replace the power supply and a few capacitors to get it working. I was not thrilled with the fact that during the refurbishment, none of the moving parts had been re-lubricated in any manner during the repair.

There are a lot of moving parts at the front of this unit and they need lubrication, given that the radio has not been serviced previously. I spent the necessary time to lube everything I could reach...

Happy to have the original radio back in my restoration. I even hooked up the original factory supplied door speakers and they work great... 1971 all over again.
Nice to get it working again! I have found an AM/FM for my 1973 a couple of months ago. The pushbuttons are stiff. What lubrication did you use ?  I will have a look as well. Did you find NOS door speakers?

The only speakers I could find with ford plugs for my car are these :

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mustang/ken-harrison-door-speaker-assembly-w-dual-3-5-speakers-69-73-mustang-w-plug-for-ford-wiring.html

Jeroen

Glad you got it repaired, but it sucks they couldn't spend the extra time lumina everything back up. For $255 you think they'd at least have done that. To me it's just poor form and seems they're more worried about your money than doing the job properly, an all too common of a trait these days with just about everything. 

The sound of those factory speakers is something else. I love listening to the good old tunes of the time through my AM/FM factory system and it takes me back. My wife says to me that we should install a modern system (hidden of course) in the vert. To which I point at the radio and say, state of the art this is, back in 1973. Never know it may happen one day, but I prefer the tunes of the 4V Cleveland symphony.

Ken, did you know there is a guy in London who repairs vintage radios. John De Wit @ Classic Radio Repair. I'll be taking my am/fm there shortly. My fm side of it packed up mysteriously. He does RM Restoration's radio repairs, so hopefully he knows his stuff. I guess I'll find out soon.

Back