original parts restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbnelle

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
91 GT Convertible
Hello all.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this one. I am in the very early stages of restoring my 73 convertible and wanted to try using as many original parts as possible. Does anyone know of a place that could restore the center consoles and maybe dash? I am also wondering of places that could take care of the original radio and heating and air systems. Not sure if it would be worth it, but I still wanted to try and keep as many original pieces as I could.

Thanks in advance for any advise or responses! This site has given me many ideas.

Welcome to the forums!

One of our three site sponsors (MotorCity Mustang) does a lot of parts restorations...you might want to contact them for advice! The banner appears up top in rotation.

Hello all.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this one. I am in the very early stages of restoring my 73 convertible and wanted to try using as many original parts as possible. Does anyone know of a place that could restore the center consoles and maybe dash? I am also wondering of places that could take care of the original radio and heating and air systems. Not sure if it would be worth it, but I still wanted to try and keep as many original pieces as I could.

Thanks in advance for any advise or responses! This site has given me many ideas.
another option is to connect with your local Ford Mustang clubs and see if they have oem parts for your 73 or know where that one special Ford Mustang parts hoarder is locate. Almost every City has one :) Good luck and ::welcome::

Hi JB! Welcome to the club. It's great to see another 73 convertible here, and I like your idea of trying to keep everything as original as possible.

In addition to what DJ and Barry just said, you might want to post your questions in the Introductions forum, so we can give you a proper welcome, and so many more people might reply to your question. Please post a picture as soon as you can - I'll do my best to share my limited experience and wisdom with my 73 convertible.

Doc

HI there

The biggest problem with the 71-73 is that no one is doing the tachs.....I contacted TACHMAN and they won't do a 71-3

due to parts supply issues I think but I did contact another person that does dash repairs and he said that he would rewire the tach as a normal tach...just have to bypass the resistor wire for starting

HI there

The biggest problem with the 71-73 is that no one is doing the tachs.....I contacted TACHMAN and they won't do a 71-3

due to parts supply issues I think but I did contact another person that does dash repairs and he said that he would rewire the tach as a normal tach...just have to bypass the resistor wire for starting

Thanks for the ideas everybody! I will present the question in the Intro section...thanks Doc....

I started disassembling my car last summer. Spent a couple of days working on getting the front bumper, fenders, and convertible top off. I should have started earlier in the summer, but didn't get around to it. I will put some pics up of how far I got soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back