Overheating

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportsroof.
Well, the beast is up and running after the cam swap. She sounds great! The timing might be a little off due to the fact that I can't view the timing pointer. Also, she runs hot when it sits idling for too long. Maybe a fan shroud would help. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fan shroud would definitely help.Are you running an engine fan or electric?And at what temperature is your thermostat rated for. I was told the thermostat should not be over 180.

I think my thermostat is rated at 192 degrees if Im not mistaken. I'm running an enine fan, no electric.

then a fan shroud would really help you on the over heating. And I should of asked this in the previous reply how many blades does your fan have.Try and get at least a 5 or 6 blade fan, and in this situation bigger is better just make sure it clears the shroud.

I'm told, because i haven't had it on the road yet, that my mustand reads that it overheats at idle also. I was told it was the aluminum intake manifold transferring heat to the temp unit too efficently, but like i said i haven't drivin it yet so i'm going by what the previous owner said.

you could also test your thermostat it might be stuck.Or just get a new one they are not that expensive.If your thermostat does not open correctly that will cause the engine to over heat.I have an aluminum intake on my engine but it's a 351c so I am not sure if that could be a problem on the 302 but it makes no difference on my engine.I don't know what your budget is but i also have an aluminum radiator {a direct fit from Summit racing } and I have no cooling issues .here is the link for the summit radiator for your engine they go for 279$ much cheaper than a be cool but you might need to make new transmission cooling lines if u have an automatic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380451/

If you are using anything more than a four-blade fan you DEFINITELY need a shroud.

It is also important to ensure that approximately half of the fan extends beyond the shroud.

Hope this helps.

BT

you could also test your thermostat it might be stuck.Or just get a new one they are not that expensive.If your thermostat does not open correctly that will cause the engine to over heat.I have an aluminum intake on my engine but it's a 351c so I am not sure if that could be a problem on the 302 but it makes no difference on my engine.I don't know what your budget is but i also have an aluminum radiator {a direct fit from Summit racing } and I have no cooling issues .here is the link for the summit radiator for your engine they go for 279$ much cheaper than a be cool but you might need to make new transmission cooling lines if u have an automatic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380451/
It's funny that you mention the direct fit aluminum radiator from Summit because I just got done installing one in the Mustang a couple of days ago. And yes I did have to make new transmission cooling lines. I wonder if Summit sells a shroud that fits this radiator.

then a fan shroud would really help you on the over heating. And I should of asked this in the previous reply how many blades does your fan have.Try and get at least a 5 or 6 blade fan, and in this situation bigger is better just make sure it clears the shroud.
It came with a 5 blade fan when I got it.

I used my stock shroud and mounting brackets with my direct fit rad.So any repro shroud would fit.I'm sure our friends at Ohio mustang supply will be able to give you some info on that check the vendors forum on this site.you can ask them anything and the will help you find what you need.here is the quick link.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-ohio-mustang-supply

hope this helps

after talking to a rad guy he steered me away from aluminum rads and got me into a re-core using a high efficiency core. aluminum doesn't transfer heat well like copper or iron. It is super-light which is why the after market loves them. for shear cooling, transfer of heat, copper is much better.

the effects are amazing. Standard 3 row core aftermarket rad kept my temp gauge high in traffic, this was with a 7 blade fan and shroud

after i switched to an original case which fit a 2 row with a high efficiency core my gauge rarely went above half, again same blade, but i changed the shroud to a ford OEM to fit the original rad.

then later i added a shroud extension piece that originally came with A/C cars and my gauge dropped down from a 1/8 to a 1/4 even when it was 97+ degrees out.

that was a shocker to me, that a little 2" by 30" piece of plastic could make that much of a difference but it did.

Back