pinion gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
002.JPGHey guys,

I recently received a used 3.25 ring & pinion from a low mileage Torino from a guy in Tenn. to set up my Trac loc. The box was all beat to hell upon arrival , the pinion gear on the wide end had three teeth chipped on the very outer edge. The chips are not in the torq zone where it rides on the ring gear. I shared pics to the seller who is a 67 year old engine builder & mechanic, he thought it would still be fine to use . What do you guys think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be okay, but I am not a fan of used ring and pinion sets as they have a potential to wear more quickly than new ones, due to having been run with one set up and the fact that when you use it, the set up will be slightly different.

If you dress down the small chips, I think you can run it without a problem.

I think it would be okay, but I am not a fan of used ring and pinion sets as they have a potential to wear more quickly than new ones, due to having been run with one set up and the fact that when you use it, the set up will be slightly different.

If you dress down the small chips, I think you can run it without a problem.
Dressing the chipped areas is a good idea. It will help remove possible stress crack risers.

As captthundarr said, dress or file the area to remove the sharp edges of the chip. Probably a Dremel will work best.

This will prevent further crack travel. Set them up with a good pattern and enjoy.

Back