plastic curtain

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair51

Reaction score
My Car
convertible 72 Q code wimbledon whithe
bonjour j'ai acheté une capote complète avec la lunette arrière en plastic. mais celle qui a été livré ne correspond pas du tout au modele original : la partie en vinyl ne fait pas le tour du plastic comme l'original. les photos expliqueront mieux mon problème.

savez vous ou je peux trouver une lunette arrière conforme à l'origine pour mon convertible 72?? merci

Hi I bought a full canopy with the plastic rear window. but one that was delivered does not correspond at all to the original model: the vinyl portion will not toured the plastic like the original. photos explain better my problem.

you know where I can find a rear window complies originally convertible for my 72 ?? Thank you

plastic curtain rorigine

DSCF0090.JPG

detailed view of the side

DSCF0091.JPG

plactic curtain I think the delivered non-conforming

DSCF0092.JPG

Ok, le problème est que ces voitures n'avaient jamais de lunettes arriérés en plastic mais en verre.

Lorsque j'ai changé ma capote j'en ai pris une avec du plastic aussi mais sur celle-ci la partie claire va jusqu'en bas, sans tour complet.

Je ne sais pas s'il y a une réplique en plastique conforme à l’original. Normalement il te faut "recycler" la vitre arrière et la faire installer dans la nouvelle capote.

Ok, the problem here is that these cars did not come with plastic rear windows from the factory (afaik) but only had glass backlites.

When I replaced my top I also went a plastic curtain but on mine the clear part also goes all the way down with no frame at the bottom.

I dunno if there is a plastic replacement that conforms to the original one. Usually you need to "recycle" your glass backlite and have it sewn into the new top by a someone who knows what they're doing.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this...

You could do that... or buy the top with the glass already installed, which is what I did for my current restoration. They will sell you both types, obviously, the Plexiglas version is the cheaper option of the two. I think it would be a lot of work (and $$) to take the existing glass and have it permanently installed in a new top that came with the Plexiglas as it it does not seem that it will accept the glass insert. The "frame" at the bottom would be necessary to help support the additional weight of the glass insert.

Hello gentlemen and thank you for your reponses.je will contact the seller whether he can exchange the plastic bcurtain against a glass curtain. thanks again

Just for the record: I did not mean installing glass into a plastic curtain.

I found one supplier that offered plastic or glass but the glass version said it was the top with the correct curtain for the glass but you needed to use your own backlite.

That was a few years ago though.

Glass top window is the way to go. One solid piece.

Ray
Don't know what the availability would be there. But like Boss1Ray said, the glass window is the best way to go. I know the quality of the plastic rear windows have improved over the years, but they can still yellow and scratch over time. Ford had a industry first with the folding rear glass on the 67-70 Mustangs. Then in 71 Ford released a new semi flexible (their word) single piece tempered glass that would actually flex when lowered. And like the folding glass version, the top could be lowered without unzipping the glass. Good luck on either way you decide to go!

Back