Power steering Fluid Cooler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Just picked up a power steering cooling for my 1972 351C engine (in my '73).

I've see a few pics where these appear to have been power coated. Is that a good idea? Wouldn't that impact it's ability to cool the fluid.

I've seen the discussion on whether or not they are necessary but I have to say the original placement is ugly....anyone have an alternative placement.

Thanks

Tim

Powder coating does effect Thermal conductivity. I would think that powder coating it will reduce the ability to cool the fluid. While standard everyday spray paint or any coating for that matter would have an effect on Thermal conductivity I would thank it will be considerably less than powder coat.

I've see a few pics where these appear to have been power coated. Is that a good idea? Wouldn't that impact it's ability to cool the fluid.

I've seen the discussion on whether or not they are necessary but I have to say the original placement is ugly....anyone have an alternative placement.

Thanks

Tim

It looks like the one in the picture is for engine with Air Conditioner, mount is different. I just did mine on Air car and I stripped all the paint off with aircraft stripper the taped up the tubes and glass beaded rust off. I spent some time and straightened the fins as best I could then sprayed with semi gloss. Also flushed the thing out with brake cleaner and did a pressure test to make sure no holes. I don't think what you paint it with will affect the heat exchange that much. Are you going to run a road coarse for an hour? It would take a lot to heat up the fluid. GM cars use the same steering box but do not have coolers. The box is actually a GM product.

We have talked about what cars got the cooler and what did not since you see them on cars with and without air. One member had found that if the car had the wide radiator then it got a cooler if it had the narrow it did not. Air had nothing to do with it or manual or automatic trans. You see the two sets of nuts in the radiator support for the top radiator hold downs. I just bought a 73 with P.S. has a C-6 no air and no cooler. first one I have had that did not have the PS cooler. Someone had put the wider radiator in but you can see broken bolt in the position for the smaller one.

I didn't have phosphate for the Air conditioner bracket when I was working on this so it is not right in picture. A driver not show car.

David

100_2521.JPG

just bomb it with radiator paint black and your good to go.

Yes it is the one that mounts with the A/C. Thanks for info. I can see taking it on Hemmings Great Race or one of the power runs.

My 1970 was a frequent flyer at the SIR on test and tunes and charity drag races but you don't need the cooler for that.

Tim

Thanks

Tim

It looks like the one in the picture is for engine with Air Conditioner, mount is different. I just did mine on Air car and I stripped all the paint off with aircraft stripper the taped up the tubes and glass beaded rust off. I spent some time and straightened the fins as best I could then sprayed with semi gloss. Also flushed the thing out with brake cleaner and did a pressure test to make sure no holes. I don't think what you paint it with will affect the heat exchange that much. Are you going to run a road coarse for an hour? It would take a lot to heat up the fluid. GM cars use the same steering box but do not have coolers. The box is actually a GM product.

We have talked about what cars got the cooler and what did not since you see them on cars with and without air. One member had found that if the car had the wide radiator then it got a cooler if it had the narrow it did not. Air had nothing to do with it or manual or automatic trans. You see the two sets of nuts in the radiator support for the top radiator hold downs. I just bought a 73 with P.S. has a C-6 no air and no cooler. first one I have had that did not have the PS cooler. Someone had put the wider radiator in but you can see broken bolt in the position for the smaller one.

I didn't have phosphate for the Air conditioner bracket when I was working on this so it is not right in picture. A driver not show car.

David

I guess that is the best option. Thanks.

Tim

just bomb it with radiator paint black and your good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back