Proof our cars are rare

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
Here's about 2/3's of the show field of the 50th anniversary Rockville MD Classic car show. I had the only 71-73 Mustang there. We had 14 Mustangs and the Ferrari's even outnumbered us. Anyway, it is a very nice show because where else can you see a Gremlin, Cosworth VEGA, Citroens, Delorean and Amphicar and all sorts of ugly ducklings all together.

Rex

rockville 104.jpgrockville 105.jpgrockville 106.jpgrockville 107.jpgrockville 103.jpg

I'm with you, 71-73s are rare. Probably because very few restored them in the Mustang heydays of the 1980s,

because they got such bad reviews from the "Mustang critics" (too big etc...).

We have a big Mustang/Shelby show every year here. There at least a hundred in the 64-70s classes but only 3 or 4 in the 71-73 class.

I've been in 11 shows this and average 3 cruise nights per week this past summer, and honestly I can count on one hand the number of 71-73's that I've seen! It's great to have people come up and say " You don't see many of these around".

I've even have people take pictures of me while I'm sitting at a stop light or driving down the road!

Kind of makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! ::laugh::

Last edited by a moderator:
depends what show you go to I guess, I mean I have been to shows where that's basically me...But then my club has about 4 of them in it (counting mine) and we just had our big annual show here in SoCal (Like I posted earlier this month) and out of 346 cars there were 7 in the 71-73 class...

...it actually should have been 8 cause one of my club's members just about finished restoring a 71 mach w/ a 302 but he was having idling issues and having just gotten back from his honeymoon the week before he had no time to fix it in time for the show.

I've also seen a few random 71-73 coupes driving around where I live though I have yet to find out who actually owns them...makes me wish I was driving my 72 more often so I could maybe flag them down in it,lol

you guys must be living in the wrong place!! where i live there is my 73 mach 1 72 mach1 imported from Texas about 3 tears ago and just this year 72 convertable.Looks like the south coast of England could be the capital of 71 73 mustangs! o.k. i,m getting my coat cheers mickmatt

I SEE QUITE A FEW 71-73'S AROUND HERE IN CHICAGO. WHEN I WAS RESTORING MINE I WAS DEBATING ABOUT COLOR TO PAINT IT. IN MY LOCAL CLUB THERE ARE PROBALLY 4 OR 5. ALMOST DIDNT PAINT MINE THE COLOR IT IS CUZ SOMEONE IN CLUB ALREADY HAD HIS PAINTED THE SAME COLOR. 71 GRABBER LIME GREEN BUT I LOVE THE COLOR. I ALSO LOVE THE LONG HOOD.

We are a rare breed, but not as rare as the Mustang II's out there.
Around my area...Its about 50/50 mustang ii vs 71-73's here...we seem to have quite a few mustang 2's rolling around here.
Rolling? I didnt know there were any II's left with front suspensions.

Since every hot rod and race car has them now.

;)

We are a rare breed, but not as rare as the Mustang II's out there.
Around my area...Its about 50/50 mustang ii vs 71-73's here...we seem to have quite a few mustang 2's rolling around here.
Rolling? I didnt know there were any II's left with front suspensions.

Since every hot rod and race car has them now.

;)
That is true...But more mustang II's in my area right now that 71-73's and at shows too...Matter of fact i got a mustang 2 on my hands right now..and i had a few more thrown at me cause i own one..lol...and a few on craigs list here ..and only one 72 mach 1 for sale at the moment...I think it counts where you live sometimes...lol....but my area is good for that....I got freinds who live in seattle and they say...wow..You all have such cool older cars on the road ....I said ya..Unlike your coastal cities...Ours dont rust to the ground when abused...lol

We was talking about cars you dont see on the road the other day...Everyone remmeber the Le-car? Lmao...and i noticed you dont even see any chevy chevettes or citations on the road anymore..lol "aleast not here" hehe

should have been 8 cause one of my club's members just about finished restoring a 71 mach w/ a 302 but he was having idling issues and having just gotten back from his honeymoon the week before he had no time to fix it in time for the show.
Wow, his priorities are sure screwed up... ;-)

you guys must be living in the wrong place!! where i live there is my 73 mach 1 72 mach1 imported from Texas about 3 tears ago and just this year 72 convertable.Looks like the south coast of England could be the capital of 71 73 mustangs! o.k. i,m getting my coat cheers mickmatt
I have relatives in the UK (and have been there many times) and the idea of driving a 71-73 around some of the super narrow village/country roads you've got over there seems like a pretty iffy thing to try and do,lol

....to say nothing of the towns where everyone parks their cars on the street (making it even narrower)

Although a cousin of mine there did have a 70's corvette for a short time (but didn't drive it much) wonder why,lol

Between Mustang Memories show @ Ford Headquarters (900+ vehicles) - Woodward Dream Cruise and the most excellent Cruising Hines Drive Cruise (video :

)
There were not many 71-73s and even less in the way of Convertibles.. And thats Just the way I like it.. :)

*not my video.. there are plenty more on Youtube.. One of the best cruises around imo.

7miles of parks and cruising - Classic or modified only.. 2nd year and word is they drew upwards of 40k cars during the day. It was a complete blast!

Myrtle Beach had an all ford show sponsored by the local mustang club; 250 cars..mostly mustangs, my 72 mach and a 73 were the only 2 there.
Hold on my friend ours is almost ready.

I love the long hoods too. I've only seen two in the Roc, NY area and one was garaged.

I went to the Turkey Rod Run again this year ...havent been in 4 years. First it was a very light showing of visitors AND displays!!! I found 3 71-3's. Two Mach I and vert.

The parking at Daytona is always packed in front of the track and the overflow is across International Speedway Drive. The front side was plenty of parking available and the overflow was empty. One of the Mach I's was a white one we've had on here from CL or ebay that was for sale.

Back