Radiator brackets with new Champion radiator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
Anyone with a Champion radiator do something other than the stock brackets? They don't line up well, one is longer than the other and the hold the radiator forward unlike the stock radiator of the same thickness. Would like to see what others with aftermarket radiators, particularly Champion have done. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3 row Champion. I used the OEM brackets. I dont remember being an issue with the top brackets. Notice that there are two locations where you can install them. Maybe thats the issue. Tomorrow i will post a picture.
At the bottom i had to extend the "U" shape cross beam at the bottom of the radiator so the OEM brackets hold the radiator. I will also try to post pictures tomorrow.
I remember that after the install i had to adjust the fan shroud to avoid contact. However, my driveline angle changed due to the TKO600 transmission so i dont know what would have been the culprit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a 3 row Champion. I used the OEM brackets. I dont remember being an issue with the top brackets. Notice that there are two locations where you can install them. Maybe thats the issue. Tomorrow i will post a picture.
At the bottom i had to extend the "U" shape cross beam at the bottom of the radiator so the OEM brackets hold the radiator. I will also try to post pictures tomorrow.
I remember that after the install i had to adjust the fan shroud to avoid contact. However, my driveline angle changed due to the TKO600 transmission so i dont know what would have been the culprit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I did note the two locations, neither seemed great. I would absolutely love to see how yours are installed. Thanks!!

Here is a picture of the top. As you can see I am using the inner locations for the bracket. I don't have a picture of the bottom on file so I will have to get one later tonight if you wanted to see the bottom.

20181024_225111.jpg

Thanks Tony. Yes, I see you are on both inners, longer of the two brackets on the right side. Looks like your left side is on the wedge, and the right side is flat on the top. I'll try to replicate this and see how things line up on the bottom. I may need to adjust the bottoms as well. Thanks for the photo!! 

Thanks Tony. Yes, I see you are on both inners, longer of the two brackets on the right side. Looks like your left side is on the wedge, and the right side is flat on the top. I'll try to replicate this and see how things line up on the bottom. I may need to adjust the bottoms as well. Thanks for the photo!! 
Yes. The left one is right on the wedge. Make sure you have the rubber spacers that go between the brackets and the radiator so you don't dent the aluminum and to help with securing the radiator.

I have the rubber spacers. I may try to hunt down another short bracket and run two shorts on top for a more snug look on both. I like where my passenger side lower bracket is, but not fond of the lower driver's side. I may need to modify that one. There is a second set of holes for the lowers too, but it seems like the inner on that one is just too far in. I'll have to play around with it. 

Here are pictures of the passenger side bottom bracket. The driver's side is straight forward. On the passenger side the bracket contacts the radiator past the wedge so it won't support the radiator correctly. What I did was to extend the "U" shaped support of the radiator so the brackets are in contact with these extensions. I used aluminum L 1x1 brackets to extend the "U" support. I hope the pictures make sense. Maybe your radiator is different.

20200721_204127.jpg20200721_204351.jpg20200721_204238.jpg

That's interesting. My problem side is the driver's side. To use the bracket as intended, the outer set of holes has the radiator sitting right on the edge of it, an a bit high on that end. The inner set has it sitting way too high, as well. I have 3 options.

Drill a 3rd set of holes, dead in the middle, The bracket sits there perfectly. Use the bracket without modification. 

Modify the bracket somehow to make it sit lower.  

Notch the tabs on the bottom of the radiator and use the set of inner holes. - I'll probably do this one. This keeps me from adding holes to the car or modifying the bracket. Although I do think I'm still going to get a 2nd short bracket for the top. 

That's interesting. My problem side is the driver's side. To use the bracket as intended, the outer set of holes has the radiator sitting right on the edge of it, an a bit high on that end. The inner set has it sitting way too high, as well. I have 3 options.

Drill a 3rd set of holes, dead in the middle, The bracket sits there perfectly. Use the bracket without modification. 

Modify the bracket somehow to make it sit lower.  

Notch the tabs on the bottom of the radiator and use the set of inner holes. - I'll probably do this one. This keeps me from adding holes to the car or modifying the bracket. Although I do think I'm still going to get a 2nd short bracket for the top. 

I did the 2 short brackets on the top for mine and it works pretty well.

I got the top side looking legit by going right/right instead of both going Inside or outside. The bottom brackets still need a little work, but I'll post whatever I come up with when I'm done. It shifted the radiator right a bit more than it was, but that actually centered it better on the fan and gave me more equal distance Left,right,top,bottom with the fan blades. 

20200725_190045.jpg

I had to totally remove the bottom tabs on mine, and then I welded 3/8 by 2" blocks on top that fit my brackets, now it sits almost exactly like the original! Luckily I am a welder, but if you want to see how I did it let me know. PS: Radiator has been working great!!

As you can see I'm right on the radiator tabs. Its like that on both sides. No modifications required.  

wm20170819_170155.jpg

I got my Champion radiator today so I thought I would test fit it. I used the stock brackets top and bottom using the outer holes. No issues, no modifications. Ryan

BE61837A-3E48-46B4-9B1B-CE39EDA76BFD.jpeg

A0F9DE65-BCF9-4E09-ABA5-19AA92CD7C0B.jpeg

C5DB5780-17BD-4A06-8DD3-D74089888E1C.jpeg

6612F14B-CE7F-4D5B-B7D3-B0CECE1F4837.jpeg

C0754165-13EC-41D0-96FA-D0692727353B.jpeg

My issue came when trying to line up fan shroud, mine fit like yours too, but my shroud did not line up, the bottom of the fan was hitting the shroud so I had to lower mine. Good luck!!

Back