Radiator - Screw up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
I may have purchased the wrong radiator. Won't know until it gets here. Its a aluminum 3 core but I'm not sure if it has the hook up for the trans fluid.

I bought it from a guy that had a new one he didn't need for a Torino he was restoring. After paypal-ing the $$$ and he had boxed it up and put on the truck - I went :chin: did it have the connections for the transmission? He said he didn't recall.

Is there an alternative for cooling the trans fluid?

Tim

Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket choices...they will typically mount ahead of the radiator. For performance (such as a high stall converter), an external cooler is the preferred method of cooling the trans.

Thanks.

My next concern is space available. My car is an AC car so I need to have the room for that up front as well.

tim

Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket choices...they will typically mount ahead of the radiator. For performance (such as a high stall converter), an external cooler is the preferred method of cooling the trans.

Because of where you live, this probably isn't a concern. The cooler that is integral to the radiator also warms the transmission fluid during cold weather, getting it warm enough to evaporate moisture/condensation. You can add a thermostat to the transmission cooler lines to enable the transmission to warm up:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25719/overview/

Latest posts

Back