ram air help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksschraml

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 351 2v
68 Firebird 455 4bbl
the egr plate went bad on my car (73 mach) and was thinking about going with ram air latter down the road, when i install the ram air does the egr plate have to come off anyways for the hood to close right? 351c 2v, manifold and carb are factory. also I don't want the carb just sitting on the intake soaking up heat so what size spacer do i need to use for it to work without the egr? MUCH THANKS!

STEVE

Also if you have a factory set up can you post pics of the carb and intake....thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my original 42K intake, carb and spacer sitting on a shelf (converted to Edelbrock Performer decade ago).

Let me know if you are interested if you are staying with the 2 bbl.

Bill73ragtop, yes I want to stay with the 2bbl, what is the diff. between the ram air spacer and no ram air? I was told egr plate had to come off (would make the carb to high)on the 73 351c 2v for it to fit but just wanna make sure. if your car is a 73 351c 2v with factory ram air im very interested in those parts...

I added the Ram Air setup to my 72 2v, there is no EGR plate, and looking at it, I don't think one would fit. I get good crush, or contact with the seal to the hood plenum, and I think any more height to the carb would be an issue.

I added the ram air after I rebuilt the engine using an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley Street Avenger carb. The fit is perfect.

I do not know the factory setup for H codes (spacer wise) except it was the only engine to actually have ram air in 1973.

You are welcome to the spacer and carb since I don't think there is much market for them. Same for the intake, but I think shipping $$ would be prohibitive for something like that. I'm not sure cast iron intakes wear out unless they are sitting underwater.

When they were being developed I test fitted them on a

71 M code

and

73 H code convertible

Both fit OK

73 hood seemed tight but seal was brand new, stiff and standing up.

I think after the seal would roll and stay rolled over it would be fine.

As Bill said in 73 you could only get them on H codes

Don

Riddle me this . . .

If adding Ram air to a car that it did not originally come installed upon, it would be most common to use a reproduction air cleaner assembly. If height were a problem could the outer rim of the assembly not be trimmed down to get proper clearance? With the rubber seal reinstalled it would be invisible.

Oh and a hint for figuring out clearance . . . set your cell phone to record as a video camera and attach it to the fenderwell with double stick tape and leave a drop light under the hood. You should be able to aim it to see what you are dealing with.

Oh and a hint for figuring out clearance . . . set your cell phone to record as a video camera and attach it to the fenderwell with double stick tape and leave a drop light under the hood. You should be able to aim it to see what you are dealing with.
Brilliant!

But now I'm left wondering if the Ram Air air cleaner will fit with my Edelbrock 1406 carb and Performer 2750 intake. My whole intent was to make the factory Ram Air work again, but with Edelbrock induction.

But now I'm left wondering if the Ram Air air cleaner will fit with my Edelbrock 1406 carb and Performer 2750 intake. My whole intent was to make the factory Ram Air work again, but with Edelbrock induction.

I've got a Performer 2750 intake, Edelbrock 1806 carb with a Edelbrock .32" thick heat insulator under it and my ram air system "snugs" right down on the rubber intake gasket as it should. 71, 351C

Jim

thanks everyone! I went ahead and bought a new egr plate, found a nos on ebay for 35.00 still gonna try to get the ram air on it. the car is a 73 h code so hopefully it will fit without any problems...

I've got a Performer 2750 intake, Edelbrock 1806 carb with a Edelbrock .32" thick heat insulator under it and my ram air system "snugs" right down on the rubber intake gasket as it should. 71, 351C

Jim
I was thinking there might've been an issue with the bottom of the air cleaner assembly fitting the throat of the carb, or a part of the chassis interfering with the underside of the pan somehow.

Thanks for that!

Jim
I was thinking there might've been an issue with the bottom of the air cleaner assembly fitting the throat of the carb, or a part of the chassis interfering with the underside of the pan somehow.

Thanks for that!
The only area I would caution on is to insure your ram-air air cleaner is properly positioned on the carb if you're using an Edelbrock 1806. There's an indentation (small one) on the bottom of the air cleaner to clear the carb linkage, or maybe it's the kick down . With the Autolite 4300D Carb it was very forgiving never had the linkage hit the air cleaner but with the Edelbrock that indentation has to be exactly over the linkage or it will scrape the bottom of the air cleaner (at least mine will). Other than that caution the ram-air functions great with my set up.

Don't know if it actually adds much performance but it sure adds to the cool factor having a functioning ram-air system. At cruise ins and shows you have the guys explaining (showing off :) to their wifes and kids how the ram-air system works, it actually gets as much attention if not more than the car.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back