Ram air lid decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if the 1971s with Ram Air had a "351 4v" decal on the air cleaner lid?

Any pictures are appreciated.

Thanks all.
No. The engine size on ram air equipped cars is on the hood, i.e. "351 Ram Air". Although owners often apply decals to the air cleaners on ram air cars.

Mac

My 429 Ram Air came with a "429 Cobra Jet" decal on the air cleaner lid.

My 429 Ram Air came with a "429 Cobra Jet" decal on the air cleaner lid.
I can safely say that if a 1971/73 ram air equipped Mustang (351 or 429) is entered in an MCA Concours class, it will have points deducted for having a decal on the air cleaner lid.

This fact is can also be found with pictures on a web page dedicated to 429 Mustangs, www.429Mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com This web site has a "Ram Air Systems" section 10 pages long detailing the ram air setup in great detail. On page 2, there is a photo of a factory 429 ram air motor. The caption below this picture states, "Note that the 429 Mustang Ram Air cleaner came from the factory with no decals". Attached to this response is a copy of the first two pages of this section.

Mac

Ram Air Info.pdf

Attachments

• Ram Air Info.pdf
    956.6 KB · Views: 6
I might have misrembered that. Before I was old enough to legally drive the car I might have put that sticker on, I put quite a few on it. I think I might have just forgot I did that. I do agree now that no stickers should be on ram air lids.

Uncle Leo: "I'm old...I forgot!"

I might have misrembered that. Before I was old enough to legally drive the car I might have put that sticker on, I put quite a few on it. I think I might have just forgot I did that. I do agree now that no stickers should be on ram air lids.

Uncle Leo: "I'm old...I forgot!"
Kit,

I'm old too...........keep relying on documentation to help me out. Being an engineer is a curse!!

Mac

Amazing the amount of effort/money that goes into a system that has so little effect on the car's performance. Probably get more improvement from advancing yer timing 2 degrees and maintaining correct tire pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my jobs is manualize my ram air.

I'm going to connect a couple of air solenoids (relays) on the vacuum circuit to keep the filter flap closed whilst the ram flappers are open.

(I may need to connect one to my permanent vacuum tank used for brakes). Connect the lot to a switch on the dash. That way they're either perfectly on or completely off (when raining). Performance gain ... 0% ....... Satisfaction level ....through the roof! Hehe

Oh man, I agree with that!

So much on muscle cars was "emotional" high performance.

Scoops, spoilers, air dams, "performance tuned" exhaust, " competition" suspension.

Most of these items sound great, and do little. Some probably do nothing. But they sure look awesome, and gives you "street cred".

As far as OEM ram air on a stock 71-73 Mustang? Any performance advantage could probably only be quantified with close testing on a race track.

But it sure looks tough when you pop that hood at the local cruise night!

If the truth be known, most of us have 71-73 mustangs for the looks anyway, if we wanted drivability, we'd by corollas! He he

Half the stuff on our cars, as others have said, are cosmetic enhancements, eg, mach stripes, ram air, nice wheels, nice exhaust tone, spoilers, etc

But isn't that what makes our cars special? It's not all about just performance. We have lots of first world problems to content with, like bitching about the correct air filter sticker! He he ... Those starving Ethiopians have "nothing" to complain about! ... Literally!

Back