Ram Air vacuum actuators

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where is a good source for ram air actuators? I have hear of using the actuators off of the air cleaner intake snorkel, but I don’t want to buy one just for the actuator. I have one, but it doesn’t hold vacuum. I did a search but didn’t have much luck. TIA

Kevin

I don't believe there are repops of these available anywhere. There are threads which show how to open them, replace the rubber inside from another currently available part, and then close them up again. Mine are not connected to vacuum and are presumably bad, and my ram air flappers are just in the open position ('71 429CJ-R).

Where is a good source for ram air actuators? I have hear of using the actuators off of the air cleaner intake snorkel, but I don’t want to buy one just for the actuator. I have one, but it doesn’t hold vacuum. I did a search but didn’t have much luck. TIA

Kevin
It's hard to find a direct replacement, when you do they are proud of them. I just went through this a cpl o wks ago. I ended up cross referencing the original numbers and came up with a list of @ 8 different ones & found one on Ebay for 20.00. There's another one on the x ref list on Ebay now for double that price. I found a Napa Echlin Air Cleaner Vacuum Motor 2-2219 and used it. The tang/prong had to be slightly modified (shorter) to close completely and one hole had to be drilled since one tab was 1/4" off. If you are going for a concours exact part, you can disassemble your original ones, mark the direction of the prong and reassemble with new vacuum diaphragms or wait for an original to pop up on the net for 60-150.00.

Last edited:
There's other links on this site that shows the rebuild in detail. There's also a place that rebuilds them it starts w/a P. I didn't like their prices.

We made millions of vacuum motors at Canadian Fram back in the 70's. In the prototype shop where I worked (1973+), we had tooling so we could fabricate whatever was needed. I lost count of how many I fabricated or changed over the years. Boy, do I wish I'd snagged a box or two of parts, I'd be rich!
Hind sight hind sight.

We made millions of vacuum motors at Canadian Fram back in the 70's. In the prototype shop where I worked (1973+), we had tooling so we could fabricate whatever was needed. I lost count of how many I fabricated or changed over the years. Boy, do I wish I'd snagged a box or two of parts, I'd be rich!
Hind sight hind sight.
I don’t know about being rich but you would have a ton of thankful friends.

If you are speaking of the vacuum actuators on the ram air plenum, you can just buy an new repro plenum and remove the vacuum actuators from the plenum or remove your old plenum and replace it with the repro.

Thank you all. That's kinda what I was thinking. I'll keep on looking.
Rather dated update:

Standard Motor Products VA20 Vacuum Actuator $43.73 / ea.​

I found these on Amazon and seem to be the correct spec. They have two screw holes for mounting but have a black plastic body. So if you're not building a concourse car, I thin these would be a good replacement to get your flaps working.

Back